Pride of America Cruise Review by Kevin McCarthy

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Pride of America Cruise Review by Kevin McCarthy
Pride of America
Pride of America
Member Name: Kevin McCarthy
Cruise Date: May 2011
Embarkation: Honolulu
Destination: Hawaii
Cabin Category: OK
Shore Excursions 5+

A good way to see Hawaii
We wanted to see Hawaii and this was the only cruise ship that gave us what we were looking for.

We arrived at the terminal at about 12:30 everything was easy with only minimal waits at security checks I think we were on the ship within 40 minutes with rooms ready just after 14:30 hours, really impressed.

The room was better and bigger than what I had expected and the room steward was great, lots of storage nice full window on 7th floor with clear views out.

Again I was impressed with the ship decor and layout I thought it was elegant (this was only my second cruise).

Food on the whole was good we used the two main restaurants and the Aloha cafe the problem we has was as a group of 8 we had to wait for a table even when there were free tables! One night in the Skyline restaurant another group of 8 were seated before us even though they arrived afterwards! We were furious and this really ruined our night as we knew what was going to happen........guess they tip or get on well with the "seater".

Freestyle is OK but if you are a group of 10 you can book a table......POA should reduce this to 8!!

The price of wine on board was outrageous the cheapest bottle comes in over $30 I paid $48 for a shiraz that I would pay $6-8 on shore.

The entertaimemt was OK but the shows were short some only 45 minutes, they have two main times 19:00 & 21:00 hours, comedy was good with Bud Anderton and also O What a night. The evening enterrtainment could have been improved on but having a 15 minutes talk/show by the Hawaiian ambassidors before the main event on the next stop/island, this is done but on the morning of arrival at the port.

There is some live music by the pool but I trhought it ended two early at around 4:30pm just when people are coming back on the ship.

Overall the crew were good but most are from the US and I guess as it is a US based ship they get paid much more!! Don't like the $12 a day tip per person not sure how this improves service it just covers pay over and above the cost of the trip!

We were off the ship everyday after breakfast other than Friday in Kaua'i where we just visited Walmart.

We did not book any trips through POA, in Maui we used Hawaiian Eyes Tours Richard DeLeon cell 808 280 8438, on the first day we did the road to Hana and on the second day the beaches and the main town Lahaina.

On the big island we visited the national volcano park and the second day relaxed in Kona.

The last stop Kaua'i we had a relative take us all around the island so we saw all the sights.

On this cruise you have to tour each island they are fantastic and the main reason for taking the trip.

If I was doing this again I would book a car on the big island.

Publication Date: 06/16/11