Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by Sue4LSU: great cruise out of Galveston!

Sue4LSU
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Carnival Conquest Western Caribbean Cruises

great cruise out of Galveston!

Sail Date: May 2011
Embarkation: Galveston

We just returned from a week long cruise with family (5 adults, 2 young adults)aboard the Conquest. Have to say, one of the best cruises ever. We drove down, and parked at an offsite lot for $50 for the week, they delivered us, and were waiting for us when the cruise was over. If you come in from Houston, it's an Exxon station on your right as soon as you're on the island.

Embarking was easy, glitch in Carnival's computers slowed things down, but we were in a "throttle back" mode, so didn't let that spoil things. Went staight to Lido deck for a great lunch and waited on our rooms.

Our room with a balcony was awesome! Carnival's designers did a great job of designing storage every where possible. We had plenty of room to put all of our stuff away without having bags all over the place. My sister was sharing the room with 2 teens, and they agreed that there was adequate space for all.

Dining: We had enjoyed Anytime Dining on our last cruise with Royal More Caribbean, and thought we'd do it again. I wouldn't recommend it if you're with a group you want to sit with. Our group ranged from 7 to 5 of us, but the Conquest doesn't take reservations ( the Brilliance did) and we had to wait 30-45 minutes a few nights for a table. They do give you a beeper (think Friday's!) so you can wait in the bar, but depending on your group, that may not be a good thing. Speaking of the bar, that was one of the biggest disappointments. The main lobby bar, outside the restaurant entrance, had little to no personality. Music didn't start until after 7pm, and getting a drink if you were at a table took a lot of waiting. This was even when there were only a couple of tables filled. Seems that the ship could make some money if this bar area was more enticing for all of the people waiting on a table for dinner!

On to dinner! The food on this ship was fantastic! My husband and I are "foodies" and we couldn't believe the quality and selection of food in the main dining room. I will say, that we had better luck with our selections of duck, lamb, etc. than some of my tablemates who played it safe with chicken or fish. The fish especially seemed to be overcooked on a couple of nights.

Don't be leery of trying some of the chef styled dishes--they were great! Less

Read more Carnival Conquest cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Conquest Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Conquest Balcony Upper 6415

Loved the room itself, only negative was the service closet across the hall. I could hear the staff early in the morning. Other than that, great location.