Legend of the Seas Cruise Review by claireaussi: Fantastic little cruise on the Legend of the Seas!

claireaussi
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Legend of the Seas Asia Cruises

Fantastic little cruise on the Legend of the Seas!

Sail Date: May 2011
Destination: Asia
Embarkation: Singapore

We booked (everything online without travel agents) this 3 night 'Best of Malaysia' cruise only 2 weeks before the departure date of 27th May, from Singapore, as my partner Baz and I finally had some time off work at the same time here in Perth area, Western Aus, even if it was only for 5 days!

It was smooth sailing all the way! - booking with RCCL, who even extended my booking online time and were very approachable and friendly when I phone them in Sydney from Perth to ask a few questions; the embarking and disembarking at Singapore Cruise Centre (all under cover, well appointed and friendly attendants to assist you); and the cruise itself.

No cash is used on board, so a cash card is used instead and payed up on the last night or day. This card is also your cabin key, and your 'pass' to disembark and embark on the ship.

Our cabin (layout was well designed and spacious enough for 2) is located handy to the centre lifts and stairs on Deck 2 with only 1 More neighbour, so it was quiet, no vibrations from the ship's propellers or engines, etc; and no movement with being on the sea at all. It was Baz's first cruise and I had only been on a Nile R cruise boat, and the Kota Singapura cruise ship when I was a teen, years ago!

We were pleasantly surprised with this cruise - great, attentive service; very clean 15 year old ship in very good condition, good variety of food and tasty, hot meals at both Wind Jammer (buffet) and Romeo & Juliette Dining Room, and even the chips were crispy and not cold from the Solarium's burger bar cafe.

Drinks, particularly cocktails, beers and unalcoholic drinks were very reasonably priced and cheaper than buying similar drinks in Aus or Singapore.

The entertainment was varied and very good overall - the 2 Asian trios and 'dancing' band - Kinetic, were talented and we enjoyed their performances whether they sang in English or Cantonese or Mandarin; the American juggler was entertaining, and juggled a variety of objects (tho made a couple of small mistakes, and just laughed it off); the International singers and dancers, along with the ship's orchestra were fantastic with several costume changes in 1 show and all performed so professionally; the magician - Scot Pepper was excellent and added comedy within his show. There were also a piano bar entertainer, a classical guitarist, and a duet playing violin and baby grand piano. The one disappointment was the Asian Karaoke hostess, who showed no personality only politeness, and introduced those who chose to sing, not by name, but by song No (not even the title at times)!

There was certainly a lot to do on board and really 5 - 7 nights would have been ideal on this ship, as we just didn't have time to do everything that was offered activity wise nor climb the rock wall (next time hopefully).

Most of the passengers were Asian and with families,(some Aussies on board)and everyone we met and had a chat with were friendly and pleasant and spoke quite good English.

The staff are courteous and well presented, nearly always with a genuine smile, and some luv a chat too! I'm lactose intolerant, and our head waiter, Steven (Indian) made sure I had margarine instead of butter when we dined in the dining room (without me asking after the first time), and made sure that I had soy milk (particularly at breakfast time) in the Wind Jammer Cafe, - nothing was too much trouble.

We did our own thing in Penang (George Town) when we docked; and went on a Nyonya Heritage Tour in Malacca, once we had anchored in the Malacca Straits.

All was well organised in boarding our tender boat from Legend of the Seas and on our return and the excursion itself was informative, interesting and worth going on (and we had some on our own), however, the guide, tho pleasant, didn't seem to handle anything not going to plan too well, and was impatient and flustered with the coach driver, who had been called in at short notice to drive the bus for us, when he made a 'wrong' turn and also when he was ordered by a policeman to move the bus where it was parked temporarily. Baz has been a tour guide in Aus for some time, so he helped out where he could, and even tho our group were 15 mins late getting back to the tender boats, as were a few other tour groups, all was fine (tho we had to queue for a tender boat for 10 mins).

To sum up our little cruise - great value for money (AUD 110 each per day inclusive, incl tips and gratitudes) and not too crowded despite 1700 passengers sharing the same cruise. We'd luv to cruise on her again. Let's hope she comes to Aus sometime in the future! Less

Read more Legend of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Legend of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Legend of the Seas Large Oceanview Stateroom Deck 2 2564

I definitely recommend cabin I 2564 on Deck 2 close to the centre lifts and stairs for a quiet night's sleep (only 1 adjoining cabin) and no motion is felt at all, just like you're on land. Our cabin was roomy enough for 2, well appointed, clean, great layout and style, and lovely to see the ocean from the very comfortable queen size bed out of a good size window. I would have put in a bi-fold door between the en-suite and cabin space tho, instead of a full door, as when you open the en-suite door, it blocks the way of anyone who is near or at the wardrobe to go past. There is no fridge in the cabin, but you do have an ice bucket with lid that is topped up with ice blocks twice a day. A minibar is provided and costs! - even the water bottles - a 1.2 litre bottle is $4.50 USD.