Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by kasowell2: Freedom of the seas 99.9% Good

Compare Prices on Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Freedom of the seas 99.9% Good

Sail Date: May 2011
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

Went on the FOS May 29th and am not going to give a detailed review but will say we had a great time. 99.9% of the trip was outstanding and would definitely go on FOS as well as Royal again. This makes our fifth cruise with Royal and consider it the best vacation value out there.

Likes: The FOS is a great ship and loved the shows, food in all venues, and the overall ship was great. Cozumel was great and Mr. Sanchos is the best place. Great food and atmosphere.

Dislikes: Embarkation was a dissapointment. It took over an hour and a half when we arrived at 12:00. Even though they said there was a power problem it was still extremenly slow when the problem was fixed. One person made us walk to the end of a line when all we had to do was walk a few steps. I know that sounds petty but you had to be there. No one in the embarkation area was friendly and that has not been the experiece we have received the previous times leaving from Pt. Canaveral

Upon arriving on More the on the ship we went straight to our room which was ready. We looked for our pre-paid soda cups but they were not there. This is the first time we have pre bought them and was wondering where they were. We saw them selling them and asked the person selling them where we could get them and he said they should be in our room. We said they were not and his reply was go check again. Very rude. Next we went to a bar in the Windjammer to get a drink usind our sea pass and the bartender started waiting on us and then stopped to wait on otehr people. Once again very rude. I then asked an obvious person in the windjammer if he was in charge and he said no and just walked away without asking if he could help. I asked another person wearing the same person and he said he would be glad to help us even though he was not in charge but would get the help for us. I know this may sound petty but we have never experienced any service like this before on RCCL and was really taken aback. The situation was resolved and we did not let it ruin our trip.

Upon returning to our room I saw our steward and asked about the cups and as I was talking to him our neighbor said that three cups had been left in their room by mistake. Mistakes happen and that was no big deal. Our room steward was great though.

Ports: I agree Falmouth is not a great place. I compare it to Disney wanting no money being spent in Orlando except with them. They want you to stay on property and spending all the money there. It is my belief that this is waht the cruise industry is doing also. They want all money spent with them. understandable from the business side but I would prefer to have more choices on ports.

Last dislike: Debarkation...Pt Canaveral used to be my favorite port due to proximity and still is for that reason but they have really messed things up there. First there is a person holding people back from going down the escalator by giving them instructions on how to do it. I thought this really slowed everyone down. I'm sure there is some reason for this but it was lost on me. Next the conveyors for receiving the luggage is a good idea but when 4000 people are trying to get their bags it is utter chaos. It's a good system for airplanes when 300 people are getting bags but it's overwhelming for 4000 people. Just my opinion.

As I began these things were only one tenth of one percent of the trip and overall we had a fabulous time. In fact we had too many good times to recall.

One thing i do want to mention is Chops. We ate there one night and had a great time. We wanted the escargot from the MDR and they gladly brought us some. Although it wasn't the best steak I've ever had it was one of the best dining experiences I've ever had. I did succumb to ordering the Chops steak one night in the MDR. There was nothing else on the menu that I liked so I ordered it. It was very good and even came with a glass of red wine. They only charged me 13.00 for it which was a good deal with the glass of wine.

I will be glad to answer any questions if anyone wants to know anything. We traveled with our 18 year old son if anyone needs to know anything. Less

Read more Freedom of the Seas cruise reviews >>