Disney Magic Cruise Review by O&smom: Med is Magic on Disney -Sept 2010 cruise

Med is Magic on Disney -Sept 2010 cruise

Sail Date: September 2010
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

This was our family's first ever cruise! Now we are hooked; and booked on the Disney Wonder to Alaska this Sept and on the Fantasy next April. The 2010 Med cruise was the start of it all! What a way to show your children the world and have it be enjoyable for all! Embarkation in Barcelona was very smooth and we love being "announced" as we enter the ship. (Next time I will be recording it for posterity.) We thought that the Magic was absolutely magnificent and quickly found our way to Topsiders for lunch. Good selection and everyone was happy with their choices. The best part was the fact that since we were one of the first few families to Topsiders we got a great table on the outside deck to take in the view and the sun. Another treat was that Chip and Dale made the rounds and were the first characters to greet us, our 7 yr old son and our 3 month old daughter. What a great start to our Disney cruise! After lunch our rooms were ready. (We took grandma along with us and had More connecting rooms - she and our son in one and my husband, myself and our 3 month old in the other.)The girls unpacked while the boys checked out the pools. All met up for the muster drill which was in Animator's Palate for us. All went smoothly and quickly and then we headed up to deck 10 for the sail away party. Great vantage point to see and experience it without being right in the middle of all the action. (If you like all the action make sure that you are on deck 9.) Dinner was at Parrot Cay and was a little bit of a blur since we did the crazy fly from Portland,Or and arrive in Barcelona at 7:00 a.m. on the day of your cruise thing. The family that we shared our dinners with was from Washington state, also had 2 children and brought along grandma. Perfect match by Disney!

The rest of our cruise was a whirlwind of adventure and fun for all of us. Our son loved the Oceaneer Lab, especially making flubber and our daughter was very comfortable in Flounder's Reef Nursery. (We did quite a few shore excursions that did not allow babies.) I was a little concerned about not having her with us ,but I soon realized that she had a lot more fun in a bouncy seat, in an exersaucer or even in the arms of Princess Tiana who came to visit more that once rather than in a stoller in the hot Mediterranean sun.

Service was great and we had no complaints in our rooms or in any restaurants. We ate at Palo and it definitely was amazing! We will continue this on all future cruises with Disney.

We loved all of our shore excursions and did them in Tunisia, Naples, Civitavecchia, and La Spezia. (Please see my port reviews for more info on these.) We enjoyed Malta, Corsica and Villefranche/Monaco on our own and had a great time in these ports as well. Since we were on the 10 day cruise without the rest day it was a little overwhelming with a new port every day. Luckily I took lots of pictures so it is nice to sit back and reflect on all of the history and beauty that we saw.

The disembarkation process was fast and easy and we were on our way back to the Barcelona airport by taxi. (The taxi situation was the only glitch in our otherwise perfect vacation. Be aware that a taxi in Barcelona can only take a maximum of 4 people even if one is an infant. Since we had five of us including Grandma we had to split up and didn't get to do any sightseeing of Barcelona. Plus we had to pay for 2 taxis! If we had known this we probably would have taken the Disney transportation to the ship.) Less

Read more Disney Magic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Disney Magic Review >>

Cabin review: Disney Magic Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom Deck Two 2138

2140 had a bit of a noise problem in the ceiling somehow 2138 nice and quiet (and I am a light sleeper)

We wish we could have explored Barcelona during our visit. I mentioned earlier that the issue with having to take two taxis meant that we did not get to tour downtown. What we saw of Barcelona was very nice. It was clean and easy to navigate by taxi. We could actually see Gaudi's church from the ship. Even though we would have liked to have seen it close up it was a nice surprise to catch a glimpse of it from deck 10. P.S. Our tablemates spent a couple of days here prior to the cruise and enjoyed it as well.

Rome was a 9 hour excursion with the "Best of Rome" Disney port adventure. We took a bus into Rome from the port and then stopped at the Colosseum, the Trevi Fountain, walked by Victor Emanuel's Monument, stopped for lunch, visited the Vatican Museums, the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Basilica...Wow! Need I say more?!? It was a great tour with what turned out to be our favorite guide and because it was so thorough I don't feel the need to visit Rome again. After all, what didn't we do?

P.S. A special treat was having our first gelato at a little shop just to the right of the Trevi Fountain.

I am giving this port a 5 because of our visit to the Oceanographic Museum and Aquarium in Monaco that we visited on our own little adventure. Since this cruise was very port heavy and history heavy as well I just couldn't drag our kids to something that I felt would not have been enjoyable to them. When I read about the Oceanographic Museum I knew that we had to check it out! (I was even more convinced when I read that Jacques Cousteau used to oversee it and that it was also celebrating its 100 yr anniversary!) We took the train from Villefranche to Monaco and finally found our way out of the correct exit nearest the Palace and Museum. It is just below the palace, perched on the rock over the sea. After a short walk and a quick bus ride up the hill (recommended by the locals) we were there. The building itself is beautiful and all of the details including the light fixtures are magnificent. The aquarium is not the largest we have ever been to but the array of fish was staggering. We love snorkeling and scuba diving as well as visiting aquariums so I pretty much thought that I had seen most everything. There were fish that I had never seen and the coral selection and anemones were amazing! (I got teased for taking a picture of every fish in there.) My two favorite tanks were the jellyfish and the clownfish. After viewing the aquarium, we went to the rooftop restaurant for lunch. Not the best or cheapest lunch by far, but the view from the roof was amazing and we didn't know of anything else nearby. After lunch we explored the museum with old artifacts, sea charts and notes from early sea exploration and animal studies. There are life-size replicas of whales suspended from the ceiling and even skeletons of young whales and sea turtles. Like I said earlier the architecture and detail in the building was so incredible and was one of my favorite things about this trip. All too soon it was time to catch the train back to Villefranche and re-board the Magic as we had an early dinner at Palo. P.S. We did talk to our tablemates later and found that they had journeyed into Nice on the train and did not really enjoy it. They felt it was quite dirty.