Carnival Glory Cruise Review by vabchtraveler

Cruise Date: May 2011
Embarkation: Norfolk
Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: 6B
See More About: Carnival Glory Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
Shore Excursions 5+

Some Glory-ess Days
I haven't sailed Carnival for awhile after an experience that left me less than enchanted. But, truth is, Carnival hasn't changed - I have. The Glory is a pretty girl. She has many, many colorful public rooms for gambling and dancing. From the raunchy red, really loud Piano Bar, to the peacock Blue karaoke Bar, to the 'OMG how can you possibly breathe in here' Ivory Bar - she is one colorful lady!! Some of it is appealing and some is downright tacky - like the seating in the Amber Cabaret - what were they thinking? Overall, though, the public rooms are cool for what they are. The Old Glory Lobby and shops are very attractive, the Casino and Dining Rooms are, too.

The outside areas like the Serenity Decks and Azure Bar and Pool aft are wonderful! The hammocks on Serenity and comfy lounges and couches - a very nice touch. My favorite area, though, is Lido deck aft. Great views, an 'adults only pool', no contests and hoo-rah, hot tubs, lounges, Azure bar, close to food, music at decibel level I could stand. All good.

The food was very good - better than some other lines, for sure. The variety is amazing - fine dining, buffet, burrito bar, good room service menu, sushi, fish and chips (which is SO much more), deli, pizza, grill, Mongolian wok, creams (extra desserts and coffees you pay for). The food was delicious - best tiramisu I ever ate!

The staff is great, very friendly. The service is excellent. Our cabin steward, Leonardo, was wonderful. Our cabin was plenty spacious with lots of storage. It was quiet except for the same problem I had last time I sailed Carnival. And here it is -- why do 20-somethings think that no one sleeps in the middle of the night?? Only on Carnival have I had this problem and it's because of the crowd it attracts - younger, partying folks. I'm okay with that - party on - UPSTAIRS!!! I'll put up with the overly loud public rooms and find myself a quieter place since I'm the one out of sync. I'll put up with the stench emanating from public rooms where there's way too much smoking (really -too much) by avoiding those public rooms, too. (And, yes, I used to smoke, but the smell is exceptional, like the worst pool hall you ever hung out in - Again, I'm the one out of sync on Carnival). But, partying in the passageways, I just can't tolerate. Being awakened at 2 a.m by 3 screaming girls (in unison) banging on the door across from my cabin is unacceptable. After 10 minutes, I finally opened the door and asked them to stop - they didn't even turn around - just keep going for another 10 minutes or so. And these were well-dressed youg women - you could look at them and tell they'd been raised better. No excuse! Just like on the last 2 cruises -- over-the-top passageway noise in the middle of the night - and on different decks each time.

I have 2 more cruises planned with Carnival and then I'm done. The rudeness and lack of consideration of the younger generation on my last 3 trips have finished it for me. I didn't encounter this type of behavior with the young folks on Princess or Celebrity. And, it's a shame because I really like Carnival. Oh, well.

Publication Date: 06/14/11
Read the Bahamas ports review by vabchtraveler
More Carnival Glory Cruise Reviews