Carnival Glory Cruise Review by vabchtraveler: Some Glory-ess Days

Some Glory-ess Days

Sail Date: May 2011
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Norfolk

I haven't sailed Carnival for awhile after an experience that left me less than enchanted. But, truth is, Carnival hasn't changed - I have. The Glory is a pretty girl. She has many, many colorful public rooms for gambling and dancing. From the raunchy red, really loud Piano Bar, to the peacock Blue karaoke Bar, to the 'OMG how can you possibly breathe in here' Ivory Bar - she is one colorful lady!! Some of it is appealing and some is downright tacky - like the seating in the Amber Cabaret - what were they thinking? Overall, though, the public rooms are cool for what they are. The Old Glory Lobby and shops are very attractive, the Casino and Dining Rooms are, too.

The outside areas like the Serenity Decks and Azure Bar and Pool aft are wonderful! The hammocks on Serenity and comfy lounges and couches - a very nice touch. My favorite area, though, is Lido deck aft. Great views, an 'adults only pool', no contests and hoo-rah, hot tubs, lounges, Azure bar, close to food, music at More decibel level I could stand. All good.

The food was very good - better than some other lines, for sure. The variety is amazing - fine dining, buffet, burrito bar, good room service menu, sushi, fish and chips (which is SO much more), deli, pizza, grill, Mongolian wok, creams (extra desserts and coffees you pay for). The food was delicious - best tiramisu I ever ate!

The staff is great, very friendly. The service is excellent. Our cabin steward, Leonardo, was wonderful. Our cabin was plenty spacious with lots of storage. It was quiet except for the same problem I had last time I sailed Carnival. And here it is -- why do 20-somethings think that no one sleeps in the middle of the night?? Only on Carnival have I had this problem and it's because of the crowd it attracts - younger, partying folks. I'm okay with that - party on - UPSTAIRS!!! I'll put up with the overly loud public rooms and find myself a quieter place since I'm the one out of sync. I'll put up with the stench emanating from public rooms where there's way too much smoking (really -too much) by avoiding those public rooms, too. (And, yes, I used to smoke, but the smell is exceptional, like the worst pool hall you ever hung out in - Again, I'm the one out of sync on Carnival). But, partying in the passageways, I just can't tolerate. Being awakened at 2 a.m by 3 screaming girls (in unison) banging on the door across from my cabin is unacceptable. After 10 minutes, I finally opened the door and asked them to stop - they didn't even turn around - just keep going for another 10 minutes or so. And these were well-dressed youg women - you could look at them and tell they'd been raised better. No excuse! Just like on the last 2 cruises -- over-the-top passageway noise in the middle of the night - and on different decks each time.

I have 2 more cruises planned with Carnival and then I'm done. The rudeness and lack of consideration of the younger generation on my last 3 trips have finished it for me. I didn't encounter this type of behavior with the young folks on Princess or Celebrity. And, it's a shame because I really like Carnival. Oh, well. Less

Read more Carnival Glory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Glory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Glory Oceanview Riviera 1403

Our cabin was on deck one - Riviera. The cabin was plenty spacious with 2 beds, 2 night stands, a chair, a couch, a coffee table, 3 built-in closets (one with shelving), cabinets, desk and refrigerator. There was a hair dryer in the desk and 2 robes in closets. we had a nice window just above sea level -it was a really good cabin. We mainly spent our time on the aft Lido deck and this cabin was perfectly placed (and chosen) for that. There was some weird rumbling noise at night underneath us. It wasn't awful and didn't keep us awake but it might be more bothersome to others. What did keep us awake was rude, noisy, late-night partiers in the passageway - a problem on all decks of all Carnival ships.

We looked and looked for a sailing catamaran for a sail and snorkel experience. Finally discovered that the only one available was the Fan*ta*Sea and they were aligned with Carnival. So, we pre-booked with ship excursions (the morning tour - 9 a.m. - sold out before the ship sailed - the afternoon tour was much rougher sailing). Transportation was provided by bus (GB Transport Union) and you had the option of remaining in Port Lucaya to shop or whatever after the excursion as buses run back to the ship every 1/2 hour after 12 noon. The crew was Captain Eddie, Karon, and Leonardo and they took real good care of us. We motored out to Treasure Reef, got our gear on, and splashed. The waves were a bit rough but the site was FANTASTIC! The water was exceptionally clear and the variety of coral and sea life was amazing - I've never seen better and I've done some serious snorkeling. We spent an hour at the location. Terrific. Then we motored back to Port Lucaya - they never did put her under sail but at least we got to sit around the trampoline and feel the waves. Lemonade was served on the way back in and beer was available for purchase.

We shopped a little in Port Lucaya and then decided to go back to the Dockside shops. There were plenty of local craft-type wares right at the ship. The breeze was nice, the band was good and the products were cheaper than in Port Lucaya. Of course, we weren't looking Colombian emeralds or anything fancy, either, just souvenirs of our wonderful visit.

Our first port was Half Moon Cay, Carnival's private island. Tendering was annoying, as always, but once you are there - delightful! There's a beautiful white sand beach, shallow swimming with no current in aqua-toned water, lots of lounge chairs, clamshells and water toys to rent, fair snorkeling at the far end (on the left as you approach the beach), a few shops (not spectacular), some bars, children's play areas, a Bahamian chapel, and picnic shelters complete with chickens for the Carnival hosted BBQ.

We pulled chairs into the shade of a tree and hit the water. The clarity of the water, even with so many people, was quite good. if you swim over to the left side of the beach area (near the cabana) there is decent snorkeling - nothing to blow your hair back but plenty to see- about 7-8 different types of fish. They have put some sort of circular formations on the bottom to draw corals and fishes. The depth at high tide is probably 7-8' deep. They rent snorkel gear if you don't have your own.

The walk to the BBQ is a bit of a ways from the snorkel end of the beach. The path is good and well-marked with 'misting stations' along the way. Peek through the open beach pathways to see some incredible views. There were long lines which weren't well-ordered for the Tropics restaurant. On the menu there were hot dogs, burgers, jerked chicken, various salads, fruits, desserts, iced tea and lemonade. Plenty of food and good enough.

The lines for the tenders get long later in the day. The ship arrived at 8 and we hit the Cay at 8:30 and left at 2:00. The last tender was at 3:30 and the ship left at 4.

Read 781 Freeport Reviews