Braemar Cruise Review by Frances Witton

Cruise Date: October 2010
Embarkation: Dover
Destination: Canary Islands
Cabin Category: BS
See More About: Braemar Cruise Reviews | Canary Islands Cruise Reviews | Fred. Olsen Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Braemar Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Braemar Deck Plans
Never Ever Again ! ! !
Upon arrival at Dover my face immediately dropped with disappointment at the sight of the old done up converted ferry of a rust bucket that my eyes beheld, I could have cried, in fact I nearly did.

I held back my tears for the sake of my elderly mother in law, who for years has sung the praises of Fred Olsen... 'small and friendly' she calls this company and rightly so. So small but the price does not reflect this, in fact after some research when we got home it would have been cheaper on the new Cunard Queen Elizabeth and I'm sure much better value for money.

Ironically we sailed past the above ship on a river cruise on the Tagus in Portugal, our last port of call....ohhhhh how I wished we could have swapped ships there and then.

How this company can describe themselves as 5 star is beyond me, unless it's because 98percent of the passengers have lived through the war and rationing they think anything better than a cheese sandwich and a cream cake is gourmet dining.

I suppose I have been spoiled though having been on a 'proper' cruise on a 'proper' liner before this 'Princess' no less... even after all this time I still can't quite get my head around the fact that all these old people are being conned.

Friendly, yes... you see, the thing is all these older people know no better and expect no better, they think everyone's being so nice and kind to them because they are nice and kind, well they're not... for they have a hidden agenda, they want you and your hard earned cash to part company on the premise you'll get treated like royalty, and they don't do that either but the poor old dears are just oblivious and carry on in ignorance.

On chatting to crew members all I have said was confirmed... they told me their selling policy and their target market of predominantly 60-90 year olds who are 'easy meat'and 'rich pickings'... SHAME ON YOU Olsen's !!!

I think you ought to have two new slogan's to use... There's no fool like an old fool' and 'A fool and his money are soon parted' !!!

Oh and by the way... get some stabilisers fitted to your 'rust buckets', the poor old dears might be able to enjoy themselves a bit more if you do, you never know they might even spend more on merchandise than anti sea sickness jabs or is that just another money spinner !

Publication Date: 06/14/11