Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by cemory268

Celebrity Summit
Celebrity Summit
Member Name: cemory268
Cruise Date: May 2011
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)
Destination: Bermuda
Cabin Category: C3

Bermudiful!
My husband and I are in our mid-30s and have no children. We travel quite a bit and taking cruises is our vacation preference. This was our first time on Celebrity, as we are loyal Royal Caribbean cruisers. Celebrity was kind enough to give us Elite Status in their Captain's Club because we are Diamond Members in Royal Caribbean's Crown and Anchor Society. The perks were phenomanal. We were able to get a couple of things dry cleaned and laundered for free. In addition, we were able to use the internet for about 2 hours for free. I was really impressed with the member benefits and will cruise Celebrity again because of their Captains Club bennies!

We departed from Cape Liberty, NJ. Embarkation was very well organized and went quickly. We were on the ship in a matter of minutes. For those who haven't ever sailed from Cape Liberty, you will take a bus from the port to the ship. No big deal, just a little different that the typical "walk-on" that you do in other ports. We got into our rooms around 2pm and our luggage was delivered at about 3pm.

The Celebrity Summit is an older ship and a bit smaller than what we are accustomed to sailing on. The public rooms and lounges are very well maintained and really don't show the age of the ship. The staterooms, however, are a bit dated. Storage was an issue in the stateroom. I think that there could have been a better use of space by the design team. Having said that, the room was fine and we were content, maybe a little cramped, but content. We had a balcony and it was average sized. We both sat out there comfortably sipping cocktails many evenings. A couple of things to note... if you book a Concierege Level room, you will receive bathrobes, fresh fruit delivered to your room, as well as evening hors d'oeuvres. The bathrobes we never used. The hors d'oeuvres I really liked. They threw some caviar in there which really made my night! The fruit, however, was a different story. I'm not a big fruit eater, but bananas are my thing. So, every day, I would eat the bananas and leave the oranges and pears. Well, after about 7 days, one of those oranges had so much green fuzz on it, it would have passed for a kiwi. LOL! I just mention this because, attention to detail is what has made Celebrity a step above the rest, so I was a little disappointed at some of the things our stateroom attendant missed (like replacing soap and beach towels). Also, ladies, this is important, you will get a separate hand held hairdryer if you are in a concierege class room. I point this out because the contraption in the bathroom that is labeled a "hair dryer" should be in a hairstyling museum! Thank goodness for that hand held hairdryer, otherwise, I would have had to borrow one of the dancers wigs!!

The food on the Summit wasn't the worst I've ever had, but it wasn't the best either. The Waterfall Cafe is the casual dining buffet. I didn't really feel that there were many choices available. In addition, if you wanted to grab a hamburger or hotdog or a piece of pizza, you had to go to different places outside of the restaurant to get it. It was an odd set up, but I did read that the food placement helps with crowd control. It must work because I never felt crowded in the cafe. We were always able to find a table without any trouble. The Cosmopolitan dining room was nice and the wait staff was really great. The food was just so-so. Nothing terrible, but nothing great. The last formal night we had lobster, but the assistant waiter covered my husband in butter and sauce when trying to remove the thing from the shell. We asked for club soda to try and get the stains out, but I'm sorry to say that the brand new neck tie didn't make it. My poor hubby had to go change clothes because it was so bad. That wasn't the end of the world, but it was a little disappointing. Luckily, we had a free drycleaning coupon from the Captain's Club!

There was a chocolate buffet one night and it was GREAT! I ate so many chocolate covered strawberries that I don't think I'll ever want one again! There was a band and dancing and that boat was rockin' It was a lot of fun and we really enjoyed ourselves.

Every night between 5-7, we went to Michael's Lounge and had free cocktails before dinner. It was really nice! This is one of the Captain's Club perks. I really enjoyed visiting with other cruisers and the wait staff. Everyone was pleasant and courteous. Those evening cocktails were what I looked forward to every day! :)

The shows were pretty good. Bruce Smirnoff was the comedian and he was a hoot. I really enjoyed his show. One of the shows was a piano player who we had seen on one of the other cruises. He is really amazing and a great entertainer! The other shows were Broadway review type shows and were good.

The best part...Bermuda! WONDERFUL! FANSTATIC! GORGEOUS! BEAUTIFUL! LOVELY! We docked at King's Wharf. We chose to purchase a 3 day bus and ferry pass (about $56) and go out on our own every day. We visited Horseshoe Bay, Warwick Long Bay and Church's Bay. The best snorkeling is at Church's Bay. You see some beautiful fish and coral reefs!! Just amazing! The swimming was best at Horseshoe Bay, but it does tend to get a little crowded around lunch time. Watch out for the Portuguese Man O War... if you get stung, you could get really sick. We saw a lot of dead ones on the beach, but only saw a couple in the water. I'm not sure if they are worse during certain times of the year. Be careful!

We visited Hamilton and did some shopping. They have a street fair on Wednesdays, so we stayed and snacked on shish kabobs and snow cones! The Dockyard in King's Wharf has lots of shops, so you don't have to go far to get souvenirs. If you run out of sunscreen, go to the pharmacy in the Dockyard and not to a souvenir shop. You'll save yourself about $5.

Disembarkation was organized and efficient. We got off the boat as quickly as we got on. We were out of the customs hall and in our ride in under an hour. Not bad!

Overall I would say that we had a really nice time. If we were not Captain's Club members, I don't think we would have enjoyed our cruise as much. The Summit is an older ship without many of the bells and whistles as the newer ones. The staterooms are ok, but nothing fancy. The staff are really nice and seem very professional. The food is ok, but again, nothing off the charts. I would say that this cruise was average, but Bermuda was breathtaking and no matter how you choose to get there, you really outta go!!!

Publication Date: 06/14/11