Carnival Magic Cruise Review by sgmretb: It's all in the details

It's all in the details

Sail Date: May 2011
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

Since it was the newest ship in the line, we were expecting much more. We have cruised on Carnival before on three occasions, the last being about 7 years ago. It will probably be at least that long before we sail on Carnival again. We took the Barcelona tour on the way to the ship which was a good value for the price, but did not offer any opportunity for lunch. We got on board about 3PM and went to the lido, they call it the marketplace, to eat. Since we ate lunch so late, we did not go to the dining room that evening. We placed the card provided outside the door to order morning coffee. We specified it be delivered between 7 and 7:30. When our coffee had not arrived at 7:30, I called room service, who told me it was on it's way. At 7:43, I called again and we finally got coffee at 7:57. I know it was 7:43 when I called room service the second time because that was the time on the bar receipt the waiter brought with the coffee. No idea where the original order went. I tried calling More guest services using the button the phone marked as such and was only able to reach an automated system that provided no option to reach a real person. I later spoke to guest services in person and registered my complaint. The next morning, not only did my coffee arrive on time, it was followed by a call from room service asking if my order had arrived.

Each room has an interactive TV on which you can check your account balance, see what shore excursions are available, and, supposedly, view the menus for the various dining locations. The only menus available were for the Italian, Red Frog, and Steak locations which cost extra and the menu never changes. I asked guest services about the availability of a menu and was told it was only on the TV. I later asked the head waiter and was told they could post a printed copy of the menu outside the dining if they got permission from Carnival. This might seem like a trivial matter, but knowing what will be served in the main dining room allows choosing which days to explore the other dining possibilities.

We ate breakfast most mornings in "the marketplace". The offerings were reasonable, but everything was prepared in advance. Toast was barely toasted and always cold. They offered waffles and French toast,but again prepared in advance and lukewarm at best.

Evening meals in the dining room were adequate, which is the best I can say. The menu had 4 pages, wine by the glass, today's selection, available everyday, and desert. Our waiter expected you to order everything at once. There must have been a wine list with available bottles of wine, but I never saw it or a wine steward. My wine was delivered by one of the assistant waiters. This was better that the marketplace; however, there you had to go to the bar if you wanted wine with your meal.

After we arrived in Marseilles, we wanted to exchange dollars for Euros, but found that you could only do that in the casino during an hour in the morning and an hour and a half in the evening. Every other ship I've been on you could do that at guest services anytime.

We try to include exercise into our routine to avoid weight gain. As such we weigh ourselves at the beginning of the cruise so we know how much the ship's scale says we weigh. Scales are usually found either in the exercise facility or the locker rooms adjacent. Finding one in neither location, I inquired and was told the scale was broken. This is a new ship?

The second sea day out of Venice was cold, windy and raining. So much for the wonderful outside theater or the pools, unlike other ships there is no removable cover for those areas. You could stay in your stateroom and watch TV except they had 2 movie channels which showed the same two movies all day. There was a limited selection of movies to order at $10.99 per view. Other cruise lines have a much larger choice of viewing options.

The one thing they have a lot of is photographers. They try to take your picture, for a price, everywhere you go. And the photo shop takes up a third of the deck it's on.

I do have good to report concerning the casino. There was a no smoking area, but that did not include the tables. And, if you accumulated 1500 points on your card, you got free drinks as long as you were playing. Less

Read more Carnival Magic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Magic Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Magic Oceanview Main 2447

Our cabin had a regular bathroom with a shower and another bathroom with a sink and bathtub. There was plenty of storage space, but no hangers with clips for slacks or skirts. When the ship was moving in and out of port there was considerable noise and vibration, but it was quiet the rest of the time.

The ship was docked quite far from anything and the shuttle that was available cost 15 Euro per person.

There is much to see in Rome and it was an enjoyable experience. We took the Rome at it's best excursion. We visited the coliseum and St John's Basilica as well as having free time for shopping. The downside was that there were 10 other cruise ships in port including the Norwegian Epic. There were huge crowds everywhere.