Celebrity Millennium Cruise Review by whodhats: Alaska 2011 Millennium

Alaska 2011 Millennium

Sail Date: May 2011
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Vancouver

Please excuse the lack of an organized review. Although we have done many cruises this is the first time I have been motivated to write a review. I will gladly answer any questions.

We have cruised with many cruise lines in the past; this is our first Celebrity cruise. Until this trip we considered Carnival to be the bottom of the barrel. Celebrity Millennium has taken Carnival's spot at the bottom. The overall ship appearance is mediocre at best. We were under the impression that the Millennium was an elegant ship. It turns out that it is far from accurate. One of my companion travelers called it "generic".

The second morning there was no water, and then dirty water. It turns out that this was some process they were doing to clean the system. I have never experienced this on any cruise in the past. This was quite a shock when trying to brush your teeth in the morning.

The in room TV reservation system crashed 3 times while booking a shore excursion. We More wound up with three sets of tickets. We had to go to the excursion desk to correct.

The food and the ambiance in the main dining room were very basic. There were none of the beautiful ice carvings we had been accustomed to seeing on our Alaskan cruises. The hours of operation were not very accommodating. Breakfast was a late start. At the buffet only a couple of the coffee stations were open early and at times there were 20 to 25 people in line waiting for a single server. On one occasion I asked a crew member if something could be done. His response was that they were busy getting the line ready to open. I asked to speak to a supervisor; the response was he did not know where any of them were. I asked for him to look until he found one. Five minutes later a supervisor showed up. I asked why they did not monitor the "Q" and add servers as needed. He did not respond but placed 4 people serving coffee. One morning I ordered coffee to the room, after two additional calls and a 45 minute wait it arrived. At dinner I was served cold coffee. I was told that I was the blame for adding a spot of cream. As far as I know there was no one time special main dining experience, as on other ships (midnight chocolates, etc.)

Onboard entertainment was not very good. It is no wonder that a week prior to the cruise that the Celebrity office could not tell us what the entertainment would be. Hard to believe, isn't it?

On one occasion I tried to call the concierge desk, it rang for several minutes with no one answering; a second call was a similar experience. I would have at least expected a return call, but that did not happen.

The glacier experience I understand is controlled by weather. While the conditions seemed favorable we did not get close enough to tell if they were calving. This was by far the furthest out of any of our cruises to the glaciers. It is a shame since this is usually the highlight of an Alaskan cruise.

The ship design could have been better. The balcony rooms on the 9th deck view were obstructed by the excessive overhang on the deck above. I assume that Celebrity does not consider this a problem since they do not classify it as obstructed. If you wanted to see the top half of the majestic Alaskan mountains you had to bend over. The bar on the 10th deck aft was great, the issue was that if you had to go to the restroom you had to go back to amidships. The state rooms themselves were quite adequate with plenty of storage.

Sanitation at first was happenstance, until a virus starting spreading. I know of several passengers that were quarantined to their cabins as well as many walking wounded. A classic case of too little too late.

In summary: the overall cruise experience was very disappointing in spite of the fabulous itinerary. There were other things that led to the poor experience but now have all blended together. We will be doing many more cruises, two more already booked for this year but Celebrity is no longer a cruise line I will consider for future trips. There were 5 of us and all share the same opinion of Celebrity Less

Read more Celebrity Millennium cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Millennium Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Millennium 9105

We had cabins 9105 and 9099. There was some noise from the movement of chairs above but was not really bad. Like I mentioned the large overhang of the deck above meant you had to duck to see the top of the mountains. Deck 8 would probably be a better view. The cabin itself was quite adequate. There is plenty of storage room.

This is a very small port and is not very impressive on itself. We booked an excursion directly with Dan and Hope Anderson at Misty Bay Lodge. Call 907-723-9451 or 907-723-9452 for reservations or google them. Due to a goof-up on my part we were late to meet them. They had another tour scheduled after ours so it was not possible to get the full tour they had planned for us. they promised to do whatever it took to make it a great experience. They did just that and actually exceeded our expectations. We did a lot of whale watching, amongst many other sightings including bears. I have done many excursions in Alaska but this is by far the best experience of all. It was not just what we saw or where we went but the personal attention we received from them. Please feel free to contact us for any information we can provide you about this experience. wikelley@bellsouth.net

Nice port. on most visits it was raing. only one shower this trip

Embakcation port