Paul Gauguin Cruise Review by garyinsydney: Paul Gauguin even better than expected!

garyinsydney
Member Since 2011

Entertainment Not Rated

Compare Prices on Paul Gauguin South Pacific Cruises

Paul Gauguin even better than expected!

Sail Date: May 2011
Destination: South Pacific
Embarkation: Tahiti (Papeete)

We had been looking forward to our cruise very much, especially after reading all the positive reviews. I was even a little concerned that we may have been expecting too much.

In fact, we enjoyed ourselves even more than we could have imagined.

The Paul Gauguin was really an outstanding experience. We thought the ship itself was immaculately maintained, the cabin was very comfortable, the crew did their utmost to ensure everyone enjoyed themselves and the food was delicious.

Michael Shapiro seemed to be everywhere and made sure everyone had a fabulous trip.

We usually travel first or business class internationally and have stayed in wonderful hotels. I say this not to big note ourselves but to put the Paul Gauguin experience in to perspective.

We both suffer from the same food allergy. The restaurant staff went out of their way to assist us and make sure we didn't miss out in any way.

As others have gone into detail about the three dining More areas, I won't repeat that. We liked dining at L'Etoile and although we enjoyed one dinner at Le Grill, we cancelled our reservation at Le Veranda and just ate at L'Etoile.

We enjoyed the excursions we did very much. We booked one through the ship and did the other 2 ourselves on the net though I'm not sure we saved much.

Our only other cruise was on a river boat so I was a bit nervous about sea sickness. I took tablets at the beginning of the cruise but felt fine and so stopped taking them. BIG mistake. Enroute from Bora Bora to Moorea we had a really bad storm. I was ok during dinner but things changed when we got back to our cabin. My partner was laughing hard whilst I was extremely ill. He said he had seen people being ill in films and on cartoons but didn't really believe that someone could actually be that ill. Well, I proved you can be that ill and he got it in technicolour and surround sound. I ended up falling asleep and actually slept very well. My partner, on the other hand was awake all night and said it was so rough it felt like someone was kicking the bed all night.

I saw many people were wearing the behind the ear patches but they are no longer available in Australia.

This would not stop me from doing another cruise but I will make sure I take the tablets non-stop and will avoid the Atlantic and Bass Strait!

Once the storm was over I was fine.

Snorkelling gear was provided on the PG and you kept it for the duration of the cruise. It was comforting to see the dive guys thoroughly washing the gear at the end of the cruise.

You could get espresso coffee any time. It was not the best coffee I have ever had but it certainly was way above the standard of the commercial outlets in the U.S..

You know which the ones I mean.

The gym on the PG was better than I had expected, small but reasonably well equipped.

We were not interested in the entertainment. We have seen enough island dancers over the years. In any case, by the evening we were knackered!

After only a couple of days we forgot what day it was and had to check the daily guide. I think that in itself is a pretty good indication of how relaxing our holiday was.

We cannot recommend the Paul Gauguin highly enough. Less

Read more Paul Gauguin cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Paul Gauguin Review >>

Cabin review: Paul Gauguin 722

The cabinetry above the fridge was a bit old fashioned and seemed a wast of space. There were plenty of shelves for books and knick knacks but who needs them on a Pacific cruise? We heard the PG is going in for quite an extensive re-fit in Australia in January but I'm not sure whether the cabins will be altered very much. We were very happy with our cabin location and the amenities provided.

We did a 3/4 day tour with BBQ lunch. Our Captain was very entertaining and seems to be pretty well known by all, probably because he mooned almost every boat we passed! Nevertheless, he was knowledgeable and cautious giving appropriate warnings and advice when we went snorkelling.

We didn't realise this tour also included sting ray and shark viewing. The stingrays were as friendly as young puppies and we did not feel at all threatened by them or by the sharks. This was due to the fact that we attended one of the many fascinating talks given by Bobbie on the PG. She is a very entertaining speaker and very passionate about her subject matter.

Unfortunately he weather turned during the day. We had been looking forward to enjoying the BBQ lunch while sitting at a table in the water. It was absolutely bucketing and we had to move under shelter. It would have been more fun dining in the water but the BBQ lunch was still delicious.

We did a 3.5 hour ATV tour and had a lot of fun. Once again it was raining and when you thought the rain couldn't get any worse, it did. We arrived back on the PG soaked through to the skin but still had a great time. I am still enjoying the only things we bought in Tahiti: the delicious jams we bought during this tour.
Read 55 Moorea Reviews

You don't go to Tahiti for the towns; you go for the beaches, resorts and the water. We did a pearl farm tour at my partner's request. I wasn't over enthused about doing this tour but ended up enjoying it very much. It really was very interesting and I can recommend it.
Read 24 Raiatea Reviews

Tahaa.

We joined the rest of the ship on the private beach owned by PG. The day was very well organised and very relaxing.