Marina Cruise Review by Little Rascal

Cruise Date: April 2011
Embarkation: Civitavecchia
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: G
See More About: Marina Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Oceania Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+

LuxuryOnly.com

Ship Facts: Marina Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Marina Deck Plans
Beautiful ship
I planned this cruise one year prior to our departure. I saw the add in the Register travel section and thought it would be great to cruise on a new ship. We started in Rome for 4 nights and stayed at a very nice small hotel called the Mascagni near the train station. We decided to take the train to the port and it was very easy and very affordable.

I booked an inside room because we would be in port every day so I thought we would be out most of the day. I wish I would of booked at least an outside cabin. The inside room was very nice but I prefer to be able to look outside and a balcony room is the best. The only complaint that I have with the inside room is that the shower is very small. The other rooms come with a bath tub also. The room had a lot of storage space and everything you need to be comfortable. The bed was wonderful!

The ship is just beautiful! The decorations are very elegant and the sitting/lounge areas were plentiful. I never felt crowded on the ship and there were always lots of places to sit and visit. I had meet about 14 couples or so on cruise critic prior to our departure so we had meet several times for lunch and get togethers. It was fun running into many of the couples and having dinner together and we did many shore excursions with some of our new friends. I highly recommend going to the roll call on this site.

The shore excursions that I booked through Oceania were okay. I will not book through them again for excursions. I prefer to go with a small group and book our own privately. The cost is much less and the quality is much better.

The food was outstanding! I loved all the specialty restaurants. The Polo was our favorite, but they were all special in their own way. The Terrace cafe was very nice for breakfast and we did eat dinner there one night and it was very good too. I prefer to have service than the buffet style dining. The Waves was very good for lunch and the ice cream and milk shakes were yummy. You really need to loose about 5 pounds before you go onto the Marina for a cruise. The service was wonderful. I have not complaints on the food and selection and service.

We had met some of our friends from cruise critic in the Horizons lounge before dinner for cocktails. The service was a little slow at times. We did have several free cocktail hours provided by the ship that was a nice touch. The drinks were reasonable priced and I liked being able to bring some wine on the ship from some of our ports to enjoy in our cabin or at dinner with a corkage fee.

My overall experience was wonderful on the Marina. My only thought would be that next time I would like some sea days to enjoy the ship. It is so wonderful but we did not have enough time on the ship to take advantage of all the services she provides. I would like a cruise that had more over night stays in port. I felt like I did not get enough time on shore or on the ship. It is a good way to travel to see where you would like to go again and spend more time. I think we were one of the youngest couples on the ship. We are in our late forties to early fifties. It is for sure an older cliental.

I will for sure travel on Oceania again in the future. I really can't imagine it being any better on any other cruise line.

Publication Date: 05/30/11