Costa Fortuna Cruise Review by MIA Traveler: Dissappointing Costa Fortuna Cruise

MIA Traveler
Member Since 2011

Public Rooms Not Rated

Compare Prices on Costa Fortuna Europe - Eastern Mediterranean Cruises

Dissappointing Costa Fortuna Cruise

Sail Date: May 2011
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Venice

We were 2 couples traveling together for a 7 night Greek cruise. I have always wanted to visit Greece and after reviewing other cruise lines, I decided on Costa Fortuna.

We arrived in Milan on Saturday, and had time to explore the city. Monday morning we took a train to Venice, arriving around 10:30 am. Costa allowed us to check in our luggage before embarkation for 5 euros each. We then proceeded to take a tour of Venice.

Embarkation was not well organized. Only 3 people checking in all of these passengers! We were given a form to fill out and I was given number 16. I was told this number would show up on the TV screen and we could begin embarkation. We ended up standing for about two hours because they were on #11 when we arrived at the terminal.

The ship is very typical of the Carnival Cruise Line ships. So I was not impressed. Our luggage was already inside our cabin which was convenient. Our cards and all information was displayed on the bed.

No More complaints about the cleanliness of our cabin. It was always nice and tidy!

My dining experience was not pleasing at all. The first day in the Michelangelo restaurant the menu didn't have anything that was appealing so I went with the Chef's suggestion. I got an extra large chicken Mcnugget with french fries. WE HAD TO PAY FOR OUR WATER! And the cheapest wine was 25 euros.

Lido deck food was not very good either. Bread was always cold and hard. Breakfast was the same day after day. After 4:00 pm the only thing available was pizza!

A food manager was very rude to the employees. He actually yelled, waved his arms in rage because the napkins needed to replenished and the rack for the cups was almost empty. I had to watch this as I tried to eat my food.

As the days went on the menu got better. I really didn't like waiting for a long time in between the courses.

Entertainment was just OK. There were some outstanding moments. Forget about dancing unless you like to waltz or line dance. We only saw 3 shows in the Rex Theatre. Nothing was that entertaining and it was hard to listen to explanations in 5 different languages.

The ports was the reason I decided on this cruise. Could not afford the excursions that Costa provided so I did it on my own.

Overall, I saw what I wanted to see. But I won't be using Costa Cruise Lines again. I didn't get my money's worth. Less

Read more Costa Fortuna cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Costa Fortuna Review >>

Cabin review: Costa Fortuna Inside Lisbona Deck 6248

(1)
Bari, Italy was a waste of time. We arrived at 12:30 and took a taxi to the city center. We could have walked. We were not informed that the stores close from 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm. so why bother with this port?
Read 103 Bari Reviews

Nice city. Some shops will accept Euros but they prefer their own Kune money. For some great photos, you must walk the wall. Lots of steps, can get crowded at times but they do have places to rest. I did get a candle from the shop. Wear a hat, I was very sunny and hot on the wall.

Lots of shopping for souvenirs. DYI tour to Olympia. The olympic site is very easy to do. Tour guides are available. Take an extra battery for your camera. Lots of pictures to be taken here.

1 hour taxi tour to see the highlights of the city. Great shopping just outside the port. Next time I would like to see Lindos.
Read 185 Rhodes Reviews

This has to be one of the most beautiful places in the world. You cannot take a bad picture here. Oia was my favorite. Here is where we had our first Greek meal. Fresh fish, lamb, salad...amazing wine. I wish every cruise line would stop here.

(5.5)
Gondola ride - check Purchase mask - check Purchase leather purse - check Purchase Limoncello - check St. Mark's Square - check Rialto Bridge - check Ate a cheap lunch - check Took too many pictures - check Walked all the way to St. Mark's Square - check

One area of the canal smelled real bad. Overall, a very memorable trip.

Read 510 Venice Reviews