Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by chocolabmom: Great Cruise on Explorer of the Seas

chocolabmom
Member Since 2011

Entertainment Not Rated

Compare Prices on Explorer of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Great Cruise on Explorer of the Seas

Sail Date: May 2011
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)

We really enjoyed our cruise. I have nothing but great things to say about the ship and her crew. It was extremely clean and well maintained. We never saw a stray piece of paper flying around, a napkin blowing on the ground or a cigarette butt on the floor. The crew was wonderful and couldn't have treated us better. Our waiters in the MDR were excellent and always cheerful and friendly. Our cabin steward (Thank You Franklin!) was awesome. Whatever we asked he provided with a smile. Our ice bucket and small cooler were always filled with ice, as we requested. Our room was clean and tidy all the time.

Although the cabin was small, there was plenty of space for clothing and toiletries. The closet was large, had shelves, and there was plenty of room for dresses, suits, shirts and jackets. We really loved the balcony and I don't think we could ever sail without one again!

Can't say much about the activities on the ship, because we really just relaxed, laid in the More lounge chairs in the sun and enjoyed the hot tubs a few times. The pool area was full most days, but we always managaged to find a couple of loungers together when we wanted them. My husband enjoyed the casino and participated in a couple of poker tournaments.

We did participate in several trivia activities and they were lots of fun. I used the gym facilities a few times and it was adequate. Did not participate in group classes. About the jogging track, it was very nice to jog along the top of the ship and feel the breeze while enjoying the ocean view. However, during peak times it is crowded with people standing around talking and pulling their lounge chairs in the middle of the aisle. People should take better note of others, but that is not the ship's fault.

The food was very good. It was always hot when we received it. We mostly ate in the MDR for dinner, and had most of our breakfasts there as well. We used the Windjammer for a few lunches and maybe one breakfast. However, the foods we had in there were also very good. I highly recommend breakfast in the MDR. We met so many nice people and enjoyed some nice conversations with them. It is a much slower pace and far quieter than the Windjammer. A nice peaceful way to start your day.

We tried both Portofino's and Johnny Rockets. The food at Portofino's was top notch and the service was impeccable. Well worth the $20 and next cruise we may try to eat there twice. Really, really nice experience. Johnny Rockets was also very good and we enjoyed our burgers. My husband loved his milk shake.

All in all, this was a great cruise and we would not hesitate to do it again. However, one word of caution. If you are parking at the lot at Cape Liberty, they are still having paint spray problems. My car was covered in small dots of gray ship paint. I would not park in that lot again. Less

Read more Explorer of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Explorer of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Explorer of the Seas Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom Deck 6 6280

Our cabin was fine. Not very big, but adequate for two people. I don't think I would have wanted to add a third person. The balcony was wonderful. Small, but again, good enough for two people. The bathroom and shower were small, but served their purpose. Good location, not far from elevators and stairways. Never had a noise problem.