Carnival Destiny Cruise Review by Allyson Crocombe: First and last cruise with Carnival

Allyson Crocombe
0 Post

First and last cruise with Carnival

Sail Date: May 2011

Embarkation: Swift and problem free.

Ship:

Unclean, dated, unpleasant smell through out.

Staff:

Sullen and unhelpful.

Food:

Food in main dining room was poor quality, lukewarm and presentation was poor. Our waiter did his best and was probably the most genuine of all

the staff on board. However he had far to many tables to wait on to give the personal attention he would obviously have liked to give. I had veal one evening, it was so tough I could barely cut it, I sent it back and requested pasta, lukewarm and tasteless.

The buffet restaurant faired no better. Queues of half an hour (on a good day)for food that was very poor quality and the same each day. There were ants crawling on the tables and window sills, when I pointed this out to a waiter, he said he didn't know why I was bothered by it as no one else was.

Room service need lessons in time keeping. Breakfast order for 8.30am, arrived at 7.30, when I pointed out More the time, the attitude was take it or leave it. This happened again the following morning so we gave up on room service. Hot water for tea was put in a coffee pot that hadn't been washed.

The Deli, again always busy was mediocre, the meat used in the wraps was processed and very salty.

Stateroom:

Very dated. Pink plastic sink in bathroom. Large analogue tv on wall that looked in danger of falling off if you touched it. No sound proofing, didn't need the volume on on our tv as next room had volume on max.

The state room was dirty to say the least and the smell was over powering. We called house keeping and our stateroom steward was most put out that we were criticising his ability to clean. There was a build up of fluff around the edges of the worn carpet, hair and hair bands on the floor from previous occupants. The surfaces had not been dusted and there were unpleasant marks up the wall and on the mirror. After a heated discussion explaining my husband suffered from asthma and that the level of dust and the smell were unacceptable we left the room. On returning later the room had been cleaned to an acceptable standard and remained so for the cruise. The smell did leave the room once we sailed but returned each time we were in port.

Entertainment:

Or lack of it. We went to one show in the main theatre and walked out after 10 minutes, it was appalling. The only entertainment worth watching was Seth on the piano. A hairy chest competition on the sun deck just about sums it up!

Guest Service:

Most unhelpful staff giving conflicting information. My suitcase did not arrive with rest of our luggage. I waited until 6.30, still not arrived. Called guest services and was told luggage was still being delivered and to wait until 7.00, called again at 7.00, response was I should have been told to wait until 7.30. 7.30 came and went, still no luggage. Called again, told I needed to wait until 8.00. Again no luggage, went to guest services. A very unhelpful member of staff just pointed to a heap of suitcases and said try there and that I should have come much earlier to reclaim my case as it was getting in the way. On telling this member of staff my severe disappointment he just shrugged his shoulders. I understand it wasn't their fault the label had come off the case but would expect to be informed of the where abouts of unclaimed luggage.

Overall our cruise was of very poor standard. We didn't expect the Ritz for the amount of money we paid but we did expect basic cleanliness and edible food.

We enjoyed the ports of call, however this was very much overshadowed by our on board experience. Less

Read more Carnival Destiny cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Destiny Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Destiny Oceanview Riviera 1286

Good size for ocean view room. Whole room very dated. Pink plastic sink in the bathroom. Shower updated and good. Carpets worn. Large analogue tv with no interactive services. No sound proofing in the rooms, you can hear conversations in the adjoining staterooms. Furniture old and worn.

Don't hang around in the port. Walk to the back of the shopping mall where the local taxis are. Take a taxi to the next village/town. The lady taxi driver gave us a running comentary and pointed out all the places of interest. We sat outside a small cafe sampling the local 'Turks Head' beer and watched the locals go about their day. Far better than the purpose built shopping centre.

Very touristy but lots of lovely old buildings. Nice to take time out in a local bar to watch the hustle & bustle of the day.
Read 2629 Nassau Reviews