Seven Seas Mariner Cruise Review by cozama

Cruise Date: April 2011
Embarkation: Rome (Civitavecchia)
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
Cabin Category: SS
See More About: Seven Seas Mariner Cruise Reviews | Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Regent Seven Seas Cruise Deals

LuxuryOnly.com

Ship Facts: Seven Seas Mariner Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Seven Seas Mariner Deck Plans
Regent Seven Seas - Rome to Istanbul
Overall I would rate this a nice cruise. I won't want to take it again, but was happy that I did take it this time. My wife and I were on this cruise by ourselves. It seems to me that the majority of people on this cruise were with groups of people. It was harder to meet people on this cruise than previous cruises I had taken. My guess, was that there were so many groups, but then again maybe we just didn't try hard enough.

We had a very nice cabin with a separate bedroom at the stern of the boat. It had butler service, but that was not a very big deal, he did very little for us during the cruise (example: Ask for Amstel beer, result Budwieser). Very large balcony, which was really what we enjoyed most.

Deck 7, had a problem with sewage. I don't know why, but the oder was quite strong in areas, and persisted though out the cruise, they were working on pipes all the time, but no change was ever really noticed, however this was a minor annoyance.

Meals and wines were the best I had ever had on a cruise ship, all the restaurants were very good. The only meal I didn't enjoy was the one at the Prime 7, but not due to the food. A large group of people decided it was fine to scream and yell at each other for the entire meal. We apologized to the staff, as the offenders were American and showing a side of us that is not necessary at a fine restaurant on a cruise ship, we left before our main course.

Entertainment on board was boring. It seems to be more associated with people in their seventies than people in their late fifties, early sixties. However most of the people on board seemed to be in their seventies, we felt like we were among the youngest at sixty.

Ports were excellent, we enjoyed all of them. The free tours, not so much. It only took us one stop and tour (Monaco), to realize that we would have to do something different, the tours were just to boring and when we would ever be here again. So we started off on our own, finding taxis with drivers that spoke good English and using them as our guides. We saw so many different places that the ship tour buses never got to, talked with the drivers, got to know them, exchanged emails, ate at great out of the way restaurants, the really great thing that accompanied this, was we would be dropped off right in front of wherever we want to go (churches,museums,old ruins), and he would be right there when we got back. Yes we missed the exact information the official tour guide would be able to tell us, like when that last stone of a church was put in place (lots of churches to see on this cruise), but these drivers were locals, they knew the history of their city as well as interesting tidbits that tour guides don't discuss. We will do this from now on our cruises, even if the tours are free.

The staff of the ship was always friendly and helpful, and we overall enjoyed this cruise.

Publication Date: 05/29/11
Read the Eastern Mediterranean ports review by cozama
More Seven Seas Mariner Cruise Reviews

Read the previous Seven Seas Mariner review Read the next Seven Seas Mariner review

More Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Reviews