Disney Dream Cruise Review by DoctorD12

Cabin Category: 8D
Public Rooms 5+

Ship Facts: Disney Dream Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Disney Dream Deck Plans
Money Stolen On Disney Cruise
I traveled with a group of 21 people, mostly adults some kids. For everyone else, the trip was great, but ours was tainted with the fact that our money was stolen from our safe while on our excursion to Nassau on full day #1. We did not realize money had been stolen until the next day and reported it to Security. While they were very nice about it, they were not very accomodating.

To get into each stateroom, you use your Disney card to charge purchases (so you really don't need cash while on board but need it for tips getting to and from the ship, shopping, etc). Security was able to find out that the only people who got into the room was our stateroom attendant NYOMAN from NEPAL and my family (husband , and 2 children < 10 years old who never went to the room by themselves). Security questioned NYOMAN the stateroom attendant, but they said they could not accuse him as there are no security cameras. In addition, he does not have a record (the Dream just started sailing in January 2011).

Security also suggested that perhaps we left our door open? I DON' THINK SO. The doors are heavy they even close on their own.

Perhaps we left the safe open? Not sure, but even so, to get to the safe you have to open the closet. Why are people rummaging through our closet? Only our cash was taken, nothing else.

I think Disney needs to do a better job with security. I did not feel safe after I found out our money was stolen.

As for a full ship review, I agree with the reviewers from the May 11 2011 with some additions:

ACTIVITIES: The Oceaneer club/lab was very chaotic. You just throw your kids in and there is really no one on one in particular looking after your children. If your children ask for their parents they MAY or MAY NOT call you on your wave phone. My friend's 7 year old child did ask to call her parents, but they never did. They did text my friend that her 3 year old daughter wanted to be picked up for dinner, but her child was seated right next to her and had been with her for 2 hours. Not sure what happened there. They are good about making sure not just anyone takes your child out of the center though so I give them credit for that. They offered meet and greets for a lot of Characters which was fun for the kids.

Castaway Cay: went to the stingray excursion which was worth it for my 6 yr old and myself. The water is shallow so no real need to know how to snorkel. You get to feed and touch the stingrays.

FOOD: was mediocre. Dessert was like that of Chinese buffets--not rich enough, brownies like cake. They did not go the extra mile. I imagine Remy and Palo would be nice since you're paying extra. Cabanas buffet was good and is similar to the Windjammer on Royal.

AESTHETICS: as nice as Royal Caribbean however I appreciated every Disney detail.

POOLS: There are 2 main pools for the kids and they were always overcrowded. They are too small for the amount of people on board. The adult only pool was also too small.

STATEROOM: We staying in 8188 on the aft side. As above, be careful. DON'T TRUST DISNEY WITH YOUR BELONGINGS. The bed however, was very comfortable. The 2 kids loved their bunk bed. Our balcony was very large compared to others, however we did not enjoy it because there was a LOVEBUG infestation while at Port Canaveral. Our balcony and the entire ship was covered in these mating bugs while at Port. During the sailing away party, they would land on us about every 10 seconds. The crew did manage to clean up the decks pretty well, but they failed to clean anyone's balcony.

I thought the shower was a comfortable size and the removeable shower head was convenient when showering the kids. I liked the fact that the toilet was in a separate room with its own vanity and sink. There were no vents though.

Our next cruise will definitely be with Royal Caribbean. I have cruised with them twice and HAD NO PROBLEMS. They have coordinated with DREAMWORKS now and so I think my kids will have as much fun there.

Disney is great for kids--not so much for an adults only crowd. I think Royal Caribbean can cater to both. I still love Disney in general, but this trip was truly tainted.

Publication Date: 05/23/11