Carnival Liberty Cruise Review by Livestogo

Cruise Date: April 2011
Embarkation: San Juan
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Cabin Category: 8D
See More About: Carnival Liberty Cruise Reviews | Southern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals

Carnival Liberty Southern Carribean
Hello folks! This is my first time posting on Cruise Critic but I have found the reviews here very helpful so I decided to join.

We have just gotten back from our 4th Carnival cruise aboard the Carnival Liberty. It was a 7 day cruise departing from San Juan on May 1,2011. Overall, this was a very enjoyable cruise but I did want to mention some of my thoughts on the ship.

The Liberty was launched in 2005 but she is looking more like she is 10 years old. The ship itself is in need of some sprucing up. Having cruised with Carnival three times previously, we were used to the "over-the-top" decor.The Liberty is just getting faded and dated. Our stateroom was comfortable but was not as well-equipped as the other ships we've been on. There was no fridge in the room, nor were there any nightstands by the bed. The bathroom was very dated but the room steward did keep it very clean.

Our balcony had cigarette burns on the decking which was a little alarming. There was also a cigarette under the divider between two balconies that had burned away- almost a full cigarette! Our friends were in the next stateroom and none of us smoke so that had been there for a while presumably.Since the single worst disaster that can happen at sea is a fire, I think that smoking on private balconies should be prohibited. In fact I think that if it is allowed at all, it should only be in one or two closed lounge areas that are well-vented so that the odour does not linger on the ship.We walked through the casino every evening on our way to supper trying not to breath.The smell even lingered in the day time when the casino was closed.Not very pleasant at all.

We did not go into the other lounges at all because one step through the doors and the smoke would turn us away. Too bad for the ship because we love to dance and have a few drinks.I am Canadian and bars and restaurants have been smoke-free here for years and although people opposed this move, it is an accepted thing now.Maybe, Carnival needs to lead the industry in this.

Other than the slightly worn shape of the ship and the cigarette smoke, we found our cruise to be most enjoyable.The ports were among the best we have ever visited!

Publication Date: 05/22/11