Majesty of the Seas Cruise Review by canucks4

Cruise Date: May 2011
Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: GS

Majesty - It was just OK
My BFF & I chose the Majesty of the Seas to celebrate our two birthday milestones, leaving husbands, children, work, etc. at home!

First off, the staff did a fine job of recognizing the two of us, treating us to a number of sweet treats, balloons and refreshments to enjoy. That said, I wasn't quite sure if some were for us being GS guests, some being Diamond Plus guests and some being birthday guests - we really didn't care, we ate & drank it all!!

The ship design was quite different from the larger ships I've enjoyed, but it took no time to become familiar. But as a smaller ship, I found it somewhat congested in many of the shared venues around the centrum, frequently congested around the shops, photo, music areas.

I also found the dining room (8:30 seating) a bit uncomfortable. As an older ship, again, the design of the dining rooms being separate was different. I am pleased RCI designers changed it on subsequent ships to become an open two/three level area. The separate dining rooms with the lower ceilings were very, very loud making it difficult to hear the conversation even across the table. Also, the tables were most definitely squished in. The person behind me and I were bumping into each other rather frequently (but jovially). It was quite warm in there as well with so many people. I must admit I missed a Chops or Portofino's to escape to a fine dining area. We also weren't thrilled with the Windjammer as it too was very hectic and often difficult to find a seat at the best of times. Johnny Rockets was as decadent as ever - I love their shakes and burgers and for a couple of bucks, to me, it's worth it.

The Grand Suite was nice - Dolly was one of nicest stewards we've had. Mind you, we've never had a bad experience with stewards ever on RCI. The space was great for two women - lots of mirrors and space for hair drying, curling irons, and putting on make-up. But LOUD, oh my word, it was LOUD!! We have no idea why. We were below the Windjammer, but the noise from the ceiling area was constant. I went up the stairs one time to see what was going on, but the place was deserted - not even open. I walked around the area, going up to the 12th deck and again, nothing to indicate what the loud noises were. It sounded like heaving equipment being moved or rolled all the time - some loud, sudden bangs, constant creaking, enough that it was keep us awake most nights. I would love to know what the noises were - it was not table shuffling, or people moving about, rather ship noises I suspect. But thoroughly annoying, especially given the price of the cabin for four days.

We were also quite disappointed that one of the pools was closed for three days (a pump wasn't working) and the other pool closed for one day (an "incident" involving a fellow passenger)...it was 90 degrees in Key West and no where to swim upon our return from touring as both pools were closed!! That was a touch annoying as well.

The staff were nice as usual, the weather was terrific and we didn't have to cook or clean for four days...so yes, we enjoyed it, but as I said the ship was just OK. As far as RCI standards go, I think it's time she earned a rest - go ahead and sell her - she has served you well, but to me, she's tired.

Publication Date: 05/22/11