Ruby Princess Cruise Review by manalive

Cruise Date: May 2011
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: BD
Cabin Number: A307
See More About: Ruby Princess Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Ruby Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Ruby Princess Deck Plans
Nickel and dimed to death
We just returned from a fifteen day TransAtlantic cruise on the Ruby Princess. I'd like to say it was divine,rejuvenating, relaxing and fascinating but I'd be lying. To begin with, this was my third cruise and first Trans Atlantic voyage. My friend and I boarded in Ft Lauderdale. My first impressions of the ship were favorable. Ruby is glitzy, luxurious and enormous.She had ample flow throughs

to accommodate the crowd so we never felt crowded except at the Pool on the Lido Deck where lounge chairs were grabbed up quickly,making it desirable to go to the top deck which was windy but less crowded. Ruby feels like a new ship and it was generally spotless. The service was fine and always with a smile.

Our cabin, an outside balcony was small but adequate and just enough closet space for us.

The first six days at sea were extremely relaxing and rejuvenating. I had a facial which was blissful but then the first sign of 'sell job' started in. I'm a guy and don't need or want a lot of creams and lotions but the facial gal really pushed hard for me to at least buy some moisturizer.

Days were spent in the sun, watching the outdoor movies, working out in a well equipped and clean gym off the Lotus Spa.

All the while, I had no idea that Princess had put a two thousand dollar hold on my account. For what? I still don't understand. My friends credit card was rejected even though he had gobs of money in it. Whats Up? I found that trying to get to the bottom of this with passenger services was futile. They took no responsibility for this and said they didn't do it. Well who did?

Anyhow, aside from this aggravation there was the usual photographers wanting your money as well.

The food was very good but not great . There were many venues to choose from and the waiters were quite professional.

Another aggravation occurred in Monte Carlo where thousands of people were put into a waiting line which snaked around several times before reaching the tender. It was badly designed and this is inexcuseable. We were given a cold cloth when we reached the ship. This was a small favor but a nice touch but not enough to make up for the aggravation .

As for the entertainment it was predictable poor Broadway wannabees hoofing it through some dizzying numbers and a magician who was good with his hands but we saw the woman's leg getting into the box she was supposed to be disappearing in and out of.

All in all I would say that this was a favorable cruise though I am put off by Princess' Customer Relations and it seems like they get away with it.I am not apt to do a Princess Cruise again. Why should I have any aggravation to mitigate my relaxation.

Publication Date: 05/22/11