Disney Dream Cruise Review by dnfdr90: The Dream is truly a Dream

The Dream is truly a Dream

Sail Date: May 2011
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

Background

Just returned from a 4 night cruise on the Disney Dream. What a ship! It is beautiful from top to bottom. The ship is huge, and with 4,000 people on board, we never felt crowded. The service and staff were amazing. Anytime we had a question, any person we asked not only knew the answer, but always had additional tips to share. One thing we did notice was not one employee had any visible tattoos and men did not have any facial hair. This must be a Disney requirement. The technology aboard the ship is incredible as well. From changing pictures to all of the amenities, we were impressed.

Activities

There is more than enough to do on the ship from movies, shows, activities for kids, teens, and adults. My 4 year-old son loved the Oceaneer's Club. There are so many things to see and do, we could not get him out of there. The staff on-site are friendly, and very hands-on with the kids. They had all sorts of crafts and games the kids loved. There are also More numerous computer banks for the kids to play all sorts of games.

There are movies showing in the main movie theater. Most are new Disney releases. Also, one tip there are Disney and Pixar movies available to watch anytime in your room at no charge. My son loved watching all the Pixar movies over and over.

The Broadway style shows on the ship are top notch. We enjoyed them very much.

The service was over and above from general staff to waiters, to our cabin steward. Okta was her name, and she did everything she could to make our stay very comfortable. She helped with the bunk bed, the veranda, and showing us how to operate the shower.

Excursions

I would not recommend going into Nassau. Very expensive and basically a tourist shopping trap. Looking back, we would have preferred to stay on the ship and take advantage of the amenities on the ship. Atlantis way over-rated and expensive. We paid $70.00 for 4 of us to eat lunch. Crazy, when we could have eaten on the ship.

Castaway Cay (the Disney Island) was beautiful and so much fun. There is way more to do than you can imagine. The kids activities are great. The counselors were great with the kids and had lots of games to play. The beach is great for lounging, snorkeling, and swimming. They had a free BBQ from 10:00 to 2:00 and the food was very good with a great selection.

I would highly recommend staying the night near Port Canaveral and getting to the ship early. We made the mistake of staying in Orlando and by the time we arrived at the embarkation point, we were the last one's to board, and basically lost an entire day, when we could have arrived early and enjoyed the ship from earlier in the day.

Pools

The pool area is great for kids and adults. The kids area is Nemo themed and really a lot of fun. The Mickey pools are nice and were never really crowded. There is an adult pool area which was nice to see when you wanted to get away.

There is always ice cream and beverages available. The food on the pool deck was very good, and many choice from burgers, to sandwiches, to salads.

The food was excellent. We ate at a different restaurant every night. The service was a bit slow, but after letting them know they needed to speed things up, things were better. If have the chance to eat a Palo, do not miss out. The food was amazing, and the ocean view spectacular.

Spa/Gym

My wife and I are bodybuilders, so we were in the gym daily, and it did not disappoint. Excellent cardio selection, and weight machines. Not the free weights I am used to, but enough to get a good work out in.

Adult Bars

There is an adult only area made up of several very nice bars. Don't miss Champagne and Skyline. I love Skyline as the entire back wall is a view of a major city with lights changing in the buildings and cars moving. It was like looking out onto the city from a tall building. The city scape changed every 15 minutes from Rio, to Chicago, to Hong Kong, NYC, and Paris. There is also a very large sports bar showing the latest sports. They were showing the NBA playoffs when we were there.

Summary

I would highly recommend the Disney Dream. It was an unforgettable vacation. We have already booked the Fantasy for 2012...can't wait. Less

Read more Disney Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Disney Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Disney Dream Deluxe Family Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah Deck 8 8054

Our cabin was very nice. Roomy, clean, and comfortable. I would highly recommend a veranda. It was so nice to sit out on the balcony in the morning for breakfast, and in the evening watching the most beautiful sunsets. My son loved sleeping the bunk bed and spreading his toys out below in the sofa/desk area. Definitely enough room to spread out. The space beneath the bed was nice to put your luggage, so it is out of the way. Disney did it right having a separate shower/tub from the toilet. Made getting ready in the morning or evening much easier.