Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by bots99: Wonderful Cruise

Wonderful Cruise

Sail Date: April 2011
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: San Juan

Over the last few years I have cruised all the mainstream lines and have never had a bad cruise, some have been better than others. I sailed on Century a couple of months ago and so enjoyed it that before debarking I booked this repo on Summit. It did not disappoint.

I planned to fly to San Juan early in the day to allow for some sightseeing in Old San Juan. This was the only glitch and entirely my own fault. I had cruised to San Juan many times before and always docked across from the Sheraton with the other cruise ships. My plane landed at 9AM and the taxi whisked me to a previously unknown to me port on the other side of San Juan. I was not alone as quite a few earlybirds were camped out on the curb waiting for the terminal to open.

Once the embarkation staff opened the doors it was just a few minutes till onboard with champagne in hand. Cabins would not be ready till 1:30PM, but the buffet was open. This was the most busy the buffet was at any time during the cruise, More but it was not crowded. The weather was overcast, so I waited in the buffet till the cabins opened. At 1:30 I dropped off my carry-on, met the awesome room steward Sandy, freshened up and went to explore the ship. It took just a minute to get my bearings and start exploring. The ship is beautiful. All the lounges, bars and public areas were immaculate and inviting. I found the atmosphere to be peaceful and every one of the crew members friendly, helpful and unobtrusive.

The service was by far the best I have experienced. The cabin was fine. The water pressure in the shower was weak, but adequate. I did not participate in any of the activities being content to enjoy the perfect weather throughout the cruise.

The food was excellent both in the buffet and the dining room. There was never a line in the buffet - not sure how that was managed, but it was lovely. There were so many choices for food that in 8 days I never managed to try a gourmet sandwich or the pizza. The offerings at the Aquaspa Cafe were perfect, especially the cold soups and muffins. Dinners were a high point of the day. Our table at the Main sitting with our servers Edwin and Pauline was filled with conversation, laughter and food experimentation.

The entertainment was diverse and really good. The band on deck most afternoons was low key, but always got people up to dance. The lead female singer had a very rich, pleasing voice. Their music added to experience, it did not dominate it - that's a good thing. Pre-dinner at the Cova Cafe we were treated to either an acapella group or a classical string trio. They were both professional and thoroughly entertaining. In Rendezvous a jazz group played favorites and consistently filled the dance floor. The female singer was a joy to listen to, her enthusiasm was infectious. Michael's Club featured a female singer/piano player who was very enjoyable also. The production shows in the theatre were very good. Most ships are lucky to have one strong lead singer, this ship had FIVE and if you count the ACD, SIX. With all those strong, true voices the shows were fantastic! Mark Preston, of Lettermen fame, put on wonderful shows. He is a real showman who comes across as very sincere and seems to really enjoy interacting with the audience.

I took advantage of ship tours in Tortola BVI and Bermuda and was very pleased with the experiences and value of the tours.

During this cruise I was fortunate to participate in both a galley tour and a bridge tour. Both were extremely educational and enjoyable.

This cruise seemed to showcase the food and chefs more than most - how lucky!!! One night a buffet was held on deck - I ran up to see it being set up, lots of carved fruit, couldn't stay awake to see the completed buffet. We were treated to two days of a special brunches. They were set up in the main dining room with ice sculptures, full breakfasts, waffle and omelet stations, lots of seafood, carving stations, food, food and more delicious food. Both setups were waaaay over the top! One evening most of the entertainment was gathered in Reflections, the lounge at the top of the ship, taking turns on stage while the Chocolate Buffet was presented, another delectable feast.

Celebrity seems to do just about everything a bit better than what I have experienced on other lines. One area that can't be blamed on or credited to

the cruise line is the behavior of the passengers. My fellow passengers on two Celebrity cruises have been more polite, considerate, empathetic to the crew and generally better behaved than on the other cruise lines. People held elevators, did not push or shove, didn't mind clearing a coffee cup and were usually pleasant. Of course there were one or two exceptions, but mostly the people contributed to a wonderful cruise rather than detracting from the experience. Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Summit Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Summit Oceanview Stateroom Continental Deck (2) 2094

2094. Very quiet, tons of storage, shower adequate but weak. Located about midway between fore and mid elevators - long walk either way.

Actually Old Naval Dockyard in Bermuda. Took ship's tour "Bermuda Island Drive." Toured the whole island with many stops including Hamilton, St. Georges, the lighthouse, beach. Our guide was extremely well informed and made the drive both educational and amusing. After seeing the congested, narrow, curvy roads, I can see why renting a scooter and exploring on your own is not recommended by the cruise lines. Some places were downright dangerous. Besides, there is so much to see between the homes, churches, towns and breath-taking coasts that unless a pro is driving you'd miss lots.
Read 125 Hamilton Reviews

This was not my first time to Tortola, but I had never been to the Baths before. The hike down -and then up from the beach had intimidated me previously, but I realized it was now or never. The "Speedy" jet boat to Virgin Gorda was a fun, comfortable and easy ride, as was the jitney to the Baths. Our guide explained the lay of the land and set a time to be back and we were off. Judging I would be the slowest (old, fat, asthmatic, post-op knees), I let everyone go ahead. It wasn't so bad! I reveled in having made it - the boulders and caves were extraordinary. Took lots of pictures in the caves, swam for awhile, and left extra time for the trip back to the top. I took it slow and enjoyed watching the healthiest skinks playing in the rocks and made it back to the top with no problem. The return trip to the ship was pleasant and uneventful.
Read 502 Tortola Reviews