Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by Taylormadecruz: Celebrity ECLIPSED other cruise ships

Taylormadecruz
Member Since 2005

Compare Prices on Celebrity Eclipse Western Caribbean Cruises

Celebrity ECLIPSED other cruise ships

Sail Date: March 2011

I can't resist a bargain (or a relatively new ship) so when I saw the price of a balcony cabin on the Eclipse for around £600, I couldn't resist. Yes we had to add trans-atlantic flights, but it was still cheaper than cruising out of the UK where the equivalent would be around £1500-£2000 for an equivalent cabin. So I booked two cabins (my two twenty-something daughters were also travelling with us). Thanks to the info on the Cruise Critic forum, I knew to watch the prices and when they dropped, contacted our TA who got us a reduction of around £50 each. This is quite unusual in the UK cruise market.

Unfortunately I hadn't factored in that March was peak season in Florida because of the snow birds (always visited in heat of summer when accommodation was cheap and plentiful). Add to that a music festival in Miami, it made finding cheap but good quality accommodation near impossible.

I eventually opted for a beachfront two-bed condo in Sunny Isles More (Marenas Resort) which was fine, although not exactly cheap. Taxi from airport around $50.

Embarkation was effortless and we were onboard by 12.30 ready for lunch. The welcome glass of bubbles was a hint to the quality of service to come. We headed to the Ocean View Cafe and couldn't believe the variety of good quality food on offer.

Our cabin was ready by 2 pm and we were pleased that we had taken time to research the best cabins so had booked on the hump which gave us extra-large verandas. In fact my daughters in 8226 had a balcony three times the size of a normal one whilst ours was about twice the size. Same furnishings as others in the category, just more outside space. Would definitely recommend a 'hump' cabin and contrary to what I had read, facing forward wasn't too windy.

We absolutely loved the Lawn Club with the comfortable wicker seating - we probably spent most of our time there. The girls even sunbathed on the grass (on towels as no furniture allowed). Sailing away from Miami was spectacular seeing the city skyline and picking out South Beach.

We had opted for Select Dining and had no difficulty getting a table at around 8.30 most evenings. Food in the main dining room was excellent as was the service. Rather than the impersonal experience we had on other cruise lines offering this flexible dining option, we had efficient friendly staff who had memorised our names by the dessert course and who remembered us and our preferences on our subsequent evenings. We didn't use any of the select dining venues as we felt the quality of food was excellent, so why pay more. Qsine looked interesting, albeit a bit quirky. Possibly worth it for the novelty value. Other options were Murano and Tuscan Grille, which both looked good. We were a little confused about what was included so didn't visit Bistro on Five or Cafe El Bacio.

We rarely used the pools as they became quite busy, although we liked the fountains alongside and also the covered day beds. Didn't use the spa either but had a quick look at the persian garden, and was surprised at how small it was. Basically a solarium with ceramic beds (about 8 of them) - not worth the extra fee in my opinion.

I think it is difficult on a 7 day cruise with few sea days to make the most of all of the facilities - didn't get to any of the tastings for example. But there were a range of unusual options available to those not going ashore.

We found the Corning Glass show interesting (once) and it was very popular. The evening show was particularly impressive. The theatre shows were good and we particularly enjoyed the acapella group - in fact we often planned our evening around their performances.

My husband loves Karaoke (sorry!) and got very excited that it was on most evenings up in the stunning Sky Lounge. Unfortunately the girls running it just put the backing tracks on and did not encourage people or sing themselves.

The itinerary was a little disappointing (although probably our fault for not booking excursions, but we traditionally like to explore independently). (see below).

The overall experience, however, was one of quality in terms of environment, service and food. In fact it had spoilt us so much that our post cruise stay was a little lack-lustre in comparison.

We stayed on the Florida Keys for the last three days of our holiday at Hawks Cay Resort on Duck Key, which was nice enough but not as luxurious as the Eclipse.

We were so impressed with Celebrity that I have just booked the Silhouette for August! Less

Read more Celebrity Eclipse cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Eclipse Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Eclipse Deluxe Ocean View W/Veranda Continental Deck (6) 8228

Made informed choice to book a hump cabin. We booked veranda 1A cabins 8226 and 8228 on Vista Deck. 8228 has a balcony twice the depth of a normal cabin whilst 8226 was three times as deep. Very little drawer space in the cabins.

Why??? Of all the places to stop, Why? Port area is ok if you like loud music and a swim up bar and yards of cocktail. Probably best if you are drinking and are with a large group. Nothing else much to do. You could hire a golf buggy to go to a nearby beach but probably best option is take an excursion or stay on board.

Be careful what you eat or drink - my daughter got food poisoning from eating a chicken burger and having a drink with ice in it.

Lively centre with lots of bars. It depends where you dock as to accessibility as one berth is quite a way out of town. Take taxi/excursion if you wish to see the beaches.
Read 3119 Cozumel Reviews

Beautiful beaches easily accessible by bus or taxi from the port. Free wifi in the Starbucks in town.

I was looking forward to Roana, Honduras as it was an unusual port of call. We decided to do our own thing as we often do. However this proved to be a mistake.

As soon as you go ashore you are bombarded by taxi drivers trying to get your custom. Even if you walk through the "official" taxi area it is the same thing. Far worse than any Caribbean country we have visited. We wanted to walk around the bay, but every two seconds a car would pull up alongside or beep and stop to offer tours, or suggestive remarks to my two daughters. The whole island is poverty-stricken and the road around the bay felt unsafe as we were glared at as curiosities. When we became to uncomfortable we about-turned and decided to brave the thongs at the port gate and to venture beyond into town. We met people coming back who warned us to beware the children. It was really a shanty town and a young boy latched on to us and offered to show us around. We politely declined, gave up and returned to the ship.

Pre-book excursions or stay on board.

Read 1649 Roatan Reviews