Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by tigersroar: Great experience on the Spirit!

tigersroar
Member Since 2011

Entertainment Not Rated
Value for Money Not Rated

Compare Prices on Norwegian Spirit Western Caribbean Cruises

Great experience on the Spirit!

Sail Date: May 2011
Embarkation: New Orleans

This was mine and my husband's first time cruising and overall we had a great experience on the Spirit. We are 29 and 32 and were cruising on our honeymoon. Embarkation was easy and relatively quick. Self disembarkation was also easy.

Food

Overall, we both felt that the food was pretty good. I feel like we tried most all of the included dining and also two of the pay restaurants: both of the dining rooms, Raffles, Blue Lagoon, pool side Buffet, Shogun, and Le Bistro. The breakfast buffet was good and I was satisfied with the variety of items offered. I'd have to say that Raffles for lunch and dinner was bad though. We did have the pool side buffet for lunch one day and were pleased with it. We both felt that the dining rooms were pretty good. I had read a lot of complaints about the service in Windows being slow; however, I feel that is intentional. I didn't think the service in Windows was slow or poor at all but that it was meant to provide a more leisurely dining More experience. For that reason we actually liked it better than the Garden because we were in no hurry. Some things in the dining rooms were better than others but, overall, we felt it was pretty good. We did get a little tired of it after 7 days. We did break up dinners in the MDRs with Le Bistro and Shogun. We tried Le Bistro first and it was really good and well worth the cover charge. Shogun was our second pick and it was just okay, nothing was bad but nothing was really good either.

Ship

We had a balcony stateroom on deck 10 and were very pleased with it. We had enough room to unpack all of our stuff which helped. I had been a little worried before arriving about the appearance of the ship because of some comments I read about it being older and worn. I did not think it looked shabby or dirty. Of course, its not a brand new ship so I did not expect it to look like one but I felt that it was nice. We were happy with our room and loved the private balcony.

The service we received on the ship was absolutely excellent. Everyone was very friendly and helpful and we were both really impressed. Our room stewards were fantastic and addressed us by name every time they saw us from the first day on.

Ports

We really enjoyed all the ports.

Our favorite was Cozumel where we caught a cab right outside the port area to Chankanaab for a beach day. The water was amazing, the beach area was really nice and there were lots of loungers available. We also ate lunch there and it was very good.

We did a beach day in Costa Maya too at Quinto Del Sol (I think) that included drinks and loungers, lunch was additional. We had a great time and loved the beach but I'm sure there are other places available that would be just as good or better.

In Roatan I had booked a private tour through Rony's tours and Rony was our guide. We also did a glass bottom boat tour which was really great, we saw lots of fish, turtles, stingrays, etc, and we stopped to see the monkeys. We had lunch at Rony's mother's restaurant and it was actually really good.

In Belize we did the river tour and Lamanai excursion through the ship. We were really glad we booked through the ship for this one because we got an early tender and we didn't have to worry so much about getting back on time. It worked well for us. It was about an hour bus ride and then an hour boat ride to the ruins. We saw some monkeys, iguanas, etc. on the way and we enjoyed seeing the ruins.

Overall we had a really great time and were pleased with the ship. Everything went really smoothly and we had great weather so we were lucky in that respect. Less

Read more Norwegian Spirit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Spirit Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Spirit Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Deck Eleven 10576