Carnival Glory Cruise Review by blueknightess: A GLORY-ous First Cruise!

blueknightess
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Carnival Glory Western Caribbean Cruises

A GLORY-ous First Cruise!

Sail Date: May 2011

On this cruise was my boyfriend (23) and I (turned 22 aboard the ship). We stayed in forward cabin 1226. For the little amount of time we spent in the cabin, I don't think I would ever pay to upgrade from our interior cabin. The cabin was bigger than I thought it would have been and had plenty of space for all of our stuff plus our two suitcases under the bed. It was quiet for the most part (minus people slamming their doors; can't they shut them nicely?) and you can hear the noise of the engine when you put your ear on your pillow (kind of like a conch shell, except not as soothing ). We both felt minimal rocking from the ship even during windy days, but the slight movement that was felt was very calming. Our cabin location was also very convenient for the ports that they didn't tender into, because the gangway was just a short walk away!

EMBARKATION: On the day of the cruise, we drove from Windsor, ON to Detroit, MI and caught our flight to Miami, FL at 8:50am. We arrived in More Miami just shy of noon and after picking up our luggage we found a Carnival employee and were escorted to our bus. The bus trip felt like it took forever as we were both really excited to board the ship. At the pier, the lines for security were short, and the self check-in went quickly and smoothly. We got our Sign & Sail cards and were on the ship by about 1pm. Once on board, we went to check out our rooms which were already available. We dropped off all of our carry-on stuff and headed to Lido to find some food. I had my first slice of pizza and ordered a FunShip drink (mmm!). We wandered around the ship, took some pictures, and before we knew it it was time for dinner! That night, we watched Harry Potter on the big screen, went to the Welcome Aboard show in the Amber Palace (which was okay, I suppose) and enjoyed the ocean.

SEA DAY # 1: This was our first of two sea days on this cruise. We slept in until 10am and then headed to breakfast in the Red Sail Restaurant. I found there was always a good selection of food on the breakfast buffet including eggs, bacon, ham, cheese, meats, pancakes, french toast, waffles, baked goods, potatoes, etc. If you can't find something you'd like to eat for breakfast, there is something wrong with YOU. We wandered around the ship, took pictures, played in the arcade, ate, and attended the cruise director's (Gary; he's awesome) Fun Ashore & Fun Aboard information session. For lunch, I had chicken strips and fries from the Grill. I ate chicken strips everyday (I think) as they were so delicious. Also, ladies, get a Mocha Chocolate Getaway! F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S! Tonight was also our first of two formal nights. We got dressed up, took pictures with the photographers and went to dinner. That night we attended the Livin' in America show (again, just alright) and then went to the Adults Only comedy of Lance Montalo which was HILARIOUS. Definitely do not miss seeing his show.

SEA DAY # 2: We were extremely sad that this was our last day aboard the Glory. We wandered around to see things that we hadn't gotten to see and spent a lot of time on the decks enjoying the warm breeze and open ocean. We played in the arcade, ate Fat Chocolate Cake from Creams (DELICIOUS!), drank multiple Kiss On the Lips', and ate one last meal with our tablemates. I ordered some type of fruit with peach schnapps which was super yummy! For a main, I ordered the chicken breast in a mushroom sauce which was awesome, and my BF had his last steak. He had the Bitter & Blanc which he now won't shut up about (it was pretty good) and I had the last of my WCMC until our next Carnival cruise. We attended the Carnival Legends show which was okay. Earlier that day, I had also gone to see The Game of Love which I recommend to all the couples as it was really funny. Our cruise director, Gary Brierley, does a fantastic job with all the shows. Then, we headed back to our rooms to pack our bags and shed a tear or two.

DEBARKATION: We chose Self-Assist because we had an earlier flight out of Miami back to Detroit, MI. It was quite easy and painless. By the time we got down to the Amber Palace (meeting spot), they were already debarking those who were ready to go. When we got to US Customs, the line for Non-US Citizens was quite short and the officers were pleasant. We boarded the bus and within 15 minutes we were headed back to the airport. GOODBYE GLORY!

MISCELLANEOUS: Overall we had a fantastic time aboard the Carnival Glory. The food was average to great, our room steward was fantastic, the staff are friendly, and there's always something to do while on board. The ports were beautiful, the weather was fantastic, and the water was crystal clear. Besides the buffets and the Main Dining Room, I also ate a sandwich from the Deli which was good, and ate fries, chicken, hotdogs, hamburgers, etc from the Grill all which was good. My BF ate pizza from the Pizzeria everyday, so I guess that means he likes it. Neither of us can wait to do another cruise with Carnival, and have recommended this particular cruise to all of our friends Less

Read more Carnival Glory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Glory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Glory Interior Riviera 1226

This was our first of two tender ports. We had booked a Carnival excursion for both the tender ports so that we could be the first groups off the ship. This time, we had booked snorkeling at Sergeant's Cay. All of the water based excursions headed up to White Heat Disco and then waited in line to get onto the tender. The process went quite quickly. The tender ride however took forever. It was honestly like a half hour tender out to the Dive Shop. However, the views on the way were quite beautiful. When we arrived, we filled out our health and consent forms, were fitted for a mask, and got our life vest and flippers. We then got back onto the snorkel boat to drive out to the dive site (about 10 minutes). When we arrived we were split up into groups which seemed to have no rhyme nor reason. One of the guides asked us how well we could swim, but then put a mixture of non-swimmers and strong swimmers into a group. In my opinion, they should have put the non-swimmers/weak swimmers into a group with a good guide to assist them, as the water was choppy. My BF and I are both strong swimmers, but we found the guide swam away leaving the non-swimmers/weak swimmers just floating by the boat because they were having trouble and/or scared. Neither of us were very impressed by what we saw. There was a ton of coral, but not very many fish. However, the water was extremely warm and you could see to the very bottom everywhere we went. We had about one hour in the water, and then we boarded the snorkel boat which brought us back to the ship. They offered us water and fresh fruit on the ride back. While getting back onto the ship, we saw our tablemates waiting in line. They were telling us how they had JUST been called for general tenders, and had been waiting in line forever. It was about 3 hours after we had left in the morning. We ate a quick lunch, and then joined the general tender line to go see the port/city. It was a quick tender ride to Belize City, but when we arrived we were instantly solicited for sex. There were men and women all over the place asking for your phone number, wanting you to meet them places, etc. I wasn't very impressed. It was also hotter than the Sahara while we were there. Needless to say, we quickly looked around, bought a souvenir and then hopped on the next tender back to the ship. This was our least favorite port. On a side note, when we were back on the ship walking back to our room, staff brought in a couple that looked like they had been beaten pretty badly. We later found out that they wandered off the port with no excursion booked and were mugged. So please, for everybody stopping in Belize, BE CAREFUL! That night we went to Justin Illusion (the magic show), which was the best show for the week. Although the magic is amateur, the music and dancing was cool. BUTT (and yes, I mean B-U-T-T), be warned that for some reason the women don't seem to ever be wearing full clothing, and you can see their rear-ends. So, for those of you with young children or any sensitivities to stuff like that.

This was our very first port day and we were both very excited. We had booked Playa Mia Beach Resort as our excursion for the day. When we got to the port, we had some time to spare so we wandered around going into the shops. All of the vendors were very friendly, there was a lot to look at, and the port was extremely clean. There are also two great bars right at the end of the walkway from the ship; Three Amigos and Fat Tuesday. They were both fantastic and the drinks there are delicious. We boarded a bus for a 15 minute ride to the resort. The staff were friendly and approachable, the washrooms were very clean and the white sand on the beach was breathtaking. We had no problem finding a lounge chair and getting an umbrella. The first thing we both wanted to do was get into the water. The water was clear and clean, however it was difficult getting in and out of the water (the sand sinks down when you step in it and if anybody has problems with their knees or hips it may be very hard). Also, for anybody with young kids or sensitive feet, I would suggest wearing water shoes as the tide brings a lot of sharp rocks onto the shore. The employees at the beach were doing a great job trying to move the rocks further into the water, but it was annoying and a little painful walking on the rocks. The resort was all inclusive and they had a great bar selection. Also, the food was delicious. There were many other water activities as well, such as the iceberg (an inflatable climbing wall), a water trampoline, paddle boats, kayaks and the banana boat. They also had a huge selection of life jackets, floaties and tubes for use in the water. Our cups never went empty as the waiters did a great job bringing around drinks, and there were many photo opportunities with iguanas, lizards, and parrots for purchase. Some women were also getting their hair braided. We both agreed that it was a great choice for a relaxing day on the beach. After dinner, we attended the Hypnosis show which again, is not to miss. It was quite funny!
Read 3106 Cozumel Reviews

This was by far my absolute most favorite port! In fact, my BF and I loved this port so much we are considering taking a trip back to stay at a resort. Once again we had a Carnival booked shore excursion as this was the second of the two tender ports. Everything went quite smoothly, and the tender into the port was much shorter than Belize. We arrived and found our bus to the Cayman Turtle Farm. Our tour guide, Jake, was FANTASTIC. He did an excellent job telling us all about Grand Cayman, and pointed out many things along the way including Bill Gates' vacation house, the Johnson & Johnson vacation house, the Ritz Carlton, and much more! When we arrived at the Turtle Farm, we were greeted by our park tour guide. He was very knowledgeable and could answer any questions. We got to hold many different sea turtles and pose for pictures. After that we were allowed to tour the park at our own leisure. First, we decided to go snorkeling in the lagoon. It was very relaxed, clear and there was much to see. Swimming with the turtles was the coolest experience ever. After that, we decided to visit the bird aviary where we were permitted to feed and hold different types of birds. Lastly, we went to the Predator Tank to look at the turtles, sharks, and scary fish. After boarding the bus, Jake decided to take us to Hell. He explained why the town was called Hell, and we visited the gift shop and took pictures of the very cool rock formations. I would recommend this excursion to anybody. It was awesome! Because my BF had twisted his ankle while in port, we decided to skip dinner and the second formal night. It was Italian night at the buffet in the Red Sail and Italian is my favorite! There was a lot to choose from. At night, we went to Just Rock in the Amber Palace which was pretty good.

Firstly, I'd like to say that this port is absolutely beautiful. 60% of the island is protected forest/jungle so most of it is untouched and keeps it's natural beauty. In Roatan, we decided to go to Gumbalimba Park. On the bus ride there, we learned a lot of information about the island and what it's like to live there. When we arrived at the park, we put our bags in a locker and proceeded on our tour. There were so many beautiful plants/trees and different types of birds everywhere. We saw iguanas/lizards sitting in the trees, crossed a suspension bridge, and hiked through the forest. We posed for pictures with parrots (who eat any type of buttons, by the way) and then headed on to see the monkeys. Watching the monkeys is so amusing, but the line to hold the monkey was really long. However, we obviously waited. Warning to those with glasses, THE MONKEYS WILL TAKE THEM! The monkey stole my sunglasses and I never got them back. Thankfully, my BF took off his prescription glasses before getting to the front of the line. We learned about the pirates who took over the island and all about the history of Roatan. I would definitely recommend to anybody to visit Gumbalimba Park. Bring bug repellent however because there are a lot of mosquitoes. Back at the port, the shopping is wonderful. I recommend visiting the craft market for locally made carvings, marble, dolls, etc. That night we watched The Gender Showdown which was pretty amusing, and then late at night attended the Cinco de Mayo Deck Party as it was my birthday! We had a good night and a lot to drink!
Read 1646 Roatan Reviews