Carnival Victory Cruise Review by kmac22: First Cruise, But Overall Very Impressed

kmac22
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Carnival Victory Southern Caribbean Cruises

First Cruise, But Overall Very Impressed

Sail Date: May 2011
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

I just returned from the carnival victory cruise that sailed May 1st to the 8th. I am a 22 year old female who has travelled a lot, but this is my first cruise. Boarding the boat was easy, we boarded around 1 pm and went up to Lido deck 9 for lunch from the Buffet before our rooms were ready at 2:30. If you are planning on bringing your allowed bottle of wine on the ship, make sure you have it in your bag while checking in. When we were checking our bag in before we boarded the boat, the attendant took my carry on that contained my bottle of wine. I explained that my wine was in there, and he said he would deliver it to my room. When my bags were delivered to my room, there was a notice saying that they confiscated my bottle of wine because it was in my bag. I called to explain and they said at this point there was nothing they could do and I could pick it up at the end of the trip.

The room was more spacious then I had expected, with a decent size washroom and closets. I More shared a room with a family member and we had two double beds and a full size couch. Our Steward soon knocked on the door to introduce him self and go over a few important things. One thing that I did found unnecessary is how the Stewards cleaned the rooms twice a day. Once in the morning between 8-11 and then again in the evening between 6-9. I found this annoying because on many occasions I was getting ready for dinner and he would want in to clean our room, then would ask when we would be leaving so he could come in. Although I appreciate the desire to have the guests taken care of, two room cleanings a day seemed like a waste of resources in my opinion.

The food overall was good. We had the 8:15 sitting at the Atlantic dining room, and had excellent service from Neil and Martin. The food was most days okay, but always had lots of options. The beef and red meat was usually my favourite on the menu, I ordered the chicken on a few occasions and was not impressed. The buffet was good, always lots of options. I did not purchase the unlimited bubbles card for $50 which got you unlimited Soda the whole trip.I am not much of a soda drinker and with the free juices with breakfast,lemonade (Very good) on deck 9, and water I didn't have the urge for a pop once. The grill on Lido deck had great chicken fingers, and you could make some really good Chili Cheese fries with what they had.

The entertainment overall was really good. You could tell that they always put a lot of time and effort into the shows, with the multiple multiple costume and wig changes and the very professional looking sets. All the Punchliner comedian shows were very good, I recommend seeing these. One of our favorite things to do in the evening was watch the Superstar Live Karoke in the Adreatic lounge. It was Karaoke with a live band and backup singers, and JoJo was a awesome host! The legands show on the last night was also a highlight, with some really good singers that were all other guests on the ship. We watched majority of the singers throughout the week in Karaoke so it was cool to see them on stage during the Legends show. At first I found the cruise director `karl with a K`a little on the annoying side, but I grew more found of him and his cheesy jokes and over enthusiastic self throughout the trip.

The Arctic Disco was always busy and played great music, it was a good place to party and end the nights. The casino alwayss seemed full and I spend a little bit of time there! Less

Read more Carnival Victory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Victory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Victory Oceanview Riviera

This day we woke up to an abudence of rain. We planned on taking a trip to the beach but the rain planned otherwise. We ended up walking to the Tourist Info center in the cruise terminal and got an Island tour for $20 a person. The tour was 3.5 hours and went all over the Island. It was nice to see the country and the guide was very friendly. One thing I was not very pleased with was when we stopped at this little Bar to get a drink and use the rest rooms, they had a monkey in a VERY tiny cage, asking for tips. The cage was too small for that monkey, he could hardly move. Other then that it was a nice day inspite of the Rain.
Read 706 Barbados Reviews

This port was one of my favourites! We did the beach extravaganza tour booked through the ship, but next time I would just take a taxi. The excursion cost 45 and only had you at the beach for 2 hours. We talked to many other people at the beach that took taxis them self and it only cost them $6 each way per person. That way you had the whole day. The beach we went to was Frigates bay and it was BEAUTIFUL. The people were so friendly and the island is so small. I am looking into returning to St.Kitts for my upcoming honeymoon because something about it made me fall in love with it!

This day we planned an excursion to do the rainforst gondala through the Carnival excursion desk. It was very nice, although I wish we did the zip lining. What we didnt know, was the Gondala and the Zip lining was in the the same place, so you have the option of the older people doing the Gondala and the younger doing the lip lining. It ended up raining in the afternoon but we took a Taxi to see the beach for a few hours after the tour and ended up back at the ship by 4pm. The rainforest guides were very knowledgeable on the area and all the plant and animal life. It was very relaxing and good for people of any age and ability.

This day was probably my favourite out of the whole trip! We heard before we came about Maho beach and decided to just take a cab, which cost $9 per person per way. Maho beach (Look it up on youTube) is the beach right by the airplane runway where the Huge planes land just over your head. It was the most amazing thing! I think this is a MUST see in St.Maarten and you will never see anything else like this in the world. Not to mention the beach was BEAUTIFUL. Very small, but the nicest water I saw on the trip. The chairs were $10 to rent and there is a bar that serves beer for $3. We met some other Canadians there that told us the Grocery store that was a 2 minute walk away sold Heiniken beer for $1 a bottle, so we went there and bought a bunch to drink on the beach, Deffinitly worth it! Like many of the islands, if you take a Taxi make sure you get picked up in plenty of time to get back to the ship as if your on a individual tour the captain WILL NOT WAIT. I heard St.Maarten was the island many people get left behind at. Its usually one main road that goes around and back to the ship, so if there is an accident it can take hours therefor missing the ship!

This is a lovely country. We spend the day at the beach and got too much sun. We didnt want to go to Meghans Bay because it is very busy, but I wish we did. The beach we went to was nice, but not as nice as Meghans bay. We just took a taxi to the beach, for something like 9 dollars per person, per way.
Read 2340 St. Thomas Reviews