Seabourn Sojourn Cruise Review by george dale: Not a 5 star luxury by any stretch

george dale
0 Post

Compare Prices on Seabourn Sojourn Europe - Western Mediterranean Cruises

Not a 5 star luxury by any stretch

Sail Date: April 2011
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Rome (Civitavecchia)

Dont get me wrong,we love Seabourn and have travelled on the smaller ships 3 times. They are truly excellent.

This is our first trip aboard the Sojourn and we travelled with friends who have cruised on Sojourn before.

To start with we were not allowed to bring our taxi alongside to unload our luggage. We had to wait at the dock gate for the shuttlebus driver to finish his lunch before we self loaded our bags in the bus and went to the ship there was nobody from the ship to greet us or control the situation, not a good start. Upon dockside we were invited into the drab terminal and offerd a hot chocolate or an orange juice-You must be joking!! what happened to the champagne and canapes?

We were shown our suite(cabin) which was very good indeed. Plenty of storage and lovely linen etc. It was very hard to find any fault at all-until we met our stewardess, a surly Russian with no humour or smile. I even caught her drinking Vodka from the bottle in the large suite More next door when the door was ajar, I challenged her but she said it was water!!

Nonetheless I said nothing to the pursar or course.

The ship was beautifully designed with all the cabins up one end and all the public areas at the other. The only drawback to this was having to cross a wet deck on 8 as they seemed to scrub it 3 times a day yet the deck and pool at the stern on 5 was just plain filthy.

The public areas were spacious and plentiful and in all those respects the ship was faultless. The major issue was food service and quality.

The main restaurant suffered badly from open dining. No memeber of staff knew you or your preferences. The service was sloppy with many orders wrong and food poorly cooked and always cold. Every plate I received was fingermarked and watermarked from poor dishwashing, quite unacceptable.

The service in the Collanade was little better but at least the cooking was better although service was over 45 minutes to get a starter on some nights!

The free wine was of very poor quality about £5 a bottle yet the waiter tried to make it sound like Petrus. Previous ships had far better wines, times must be hard.

The tasting restaurant was virtually empty, I wondered why until I tasted the food, it made Heston Blumethal seem staid. I have never seen or tasted such pathetic food concoctions, it was all style and no substance at all. Clearly an April fools joke.

The ship had some entertainment booked which was very poor with the exception of a boy group who were re-booked on popular demand. The speakers and others were just plain freeloaders and a waste of time and money.

In general, the ship could be the best, the staff were amateurs the Captain just plain boring and invisible. The ship sailed well and kept to schedule.

Unless you get 60% off do not spend your money. Less