Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by MLZ: Not My Style

Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Norwegian Epic Western Caribbean Cruises

Not My Style

Sail Date: April 2011

A bit about us; my husband is 64 and I am 58. I have been on 8 cruises, 5 on Norwegian, one on Celebrity, one on Royal Caribbean, and one on Carnival. (He has been on 3) We are active people and have traveled extensively throughout the world. Before I go on a trip I thoroughly research everything about it. I was worried by the mixed reviews of the ship, and now that I have cruised on the Epic I agree with those Cruise Critic passengers that did not like it.

The Norwegian Epic is not for everyone; and it certainly wasn't for me. Although we had a great time, the service was excellent and the entertainment plentiful, the ship leaves much to be desired. I could just see the cruise designers now as they were planning the Epic:

1. Let's create a bathroom situation in the balcony cabins that affords no privacy---even for a couple who have been married for some time. Let's put a plastic door around the toilet so that there is no sound-proofing. Also, let's put the More toilet near the head of the bed. Let's put the sink away from the toilet and in the room. The bathroom situation is just plain crazy.

2. Let's make the cabin so narrow that two people are physically unable to pass each other in the cabin. One either has to walk to the other end of the room or another person has to climb over the bed.

3. Let's eliminate beautiful outdoor spaces for deck chairs.

4. Let's build small tiny swimming pools where one is unable to swim.

5. Let's create an atmosphere where you do not even think you are on a cruise ship, no beautiful open windows, everything has a closed in feeling.

6. Let's not build a jogging track that goes around the ship. Instead, let's create a strip of space on the 7th deck where the sea is obscured with life boats and has vents emitting fried food odors while you are jogging.

7. Let's create a boring menu in the included dining rooms (only 2-3 items change each night) as well as the buffet so that everyone pays to go to the extra fee dining options.

8. In fact, let's try to charge extra for everything; even the behind the scenes tour of the ship is $55.00 extra per person.

This ship is for you if you like a Las Vegas style party ship with lots of activities, alcohol, and gambling. Less

Read more Norwegian Epic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Epic Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Epic Family Balcony Stateroom Deck 14 10317

At the back of the ship. See review for bathroom, size,etc.

The only reason Costa Maya gets a 5 + is because of Maya Chan. It is one of the most fabulous little beach clubs one could imagine. It was a perfect day. Arranged it through the Internet, paid $59.00 per person; was an amazing value. Otherwise, there is not much to do in Costa Maya.

(5.5)
This was the only excursion we booked through the cruise. Went to X'Caret which I could not recommend more highly. It is an outdoor water park unlike anything we have ever experienced. It was beautiful, clean and so much fun! Only bummer was that we only had a few hours in the park (tour makes you leave at 2:15 even though you do not have to be back on the ship until 5:30 PM)and there wasn't enough time. The excursion cost $99.00 per person.
Read 3121 Cozumel Reviews

Booked through Victor Bodden. Again, a great day. Arranged for a private tour and went to Carambola park, the monkeys, a beach, and ate a terrific lunch. It cost $40.00 per person and then everything you want to do costs extra.
Read 1649 Roatan Reviews