MSC Opera Cruise Review by Brian Spencer

MSC Opera
MSC Opera
Member Name: Brian Spencer
Cruise Date: April 2011
Embarkation: Santos (Sao Paulo)
Destination: Transatlantic
See More About: MSC Opera Cruise Reviews | Transatlantic Cruise Reviews | MSC Cruises Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: MSC Opera Review (by Cruise Critic!) | MSC Opera Deck Plans
NO ROYAL WEDDING NO MSC
We were all hit by this company making a charge of nine dollars per person per day 'for our convenience as tips'. On top of this everything drink purchased had a 12% service charge. Add all that up at the end of the holiday and it amounts to a fair bit. Several people on our cruise had not funds to pay this, in fact two elderly ladies were not able to go on the trips (which again were very very expensive for what you got)but were then hit with these charges.

The ship itself is very nice and clean. Should be every night one man alone is cleaning the brass on the stairs. Lots of times the public toilets had no soap. Very few toilets onboard anyway and several times just before going into dinner only two toilets and these would be shut for cleaning.

I have never been on a ship with such miserable staff. Each morning when you went to the buffet breakfast the head man would stand hands behind his back. Never ever did he say morning or smile. This staff on the breakfast were all like this. While queuing for outside buffet lunch waiters pushed through without giving us warning or giving us chance to make way for them. They had trays of food at shoulder height which was very close to peoples hair and heads. On my last morning one waiter walked in front of me when I was going to the outside breakfast area and then let the door go in my face when I was carrying my plate of breakfast. How rude.

I had a hairclip on my bedroom floor on my arrival and it was still there fifteen days later!

On the day of the Royal Wedding not a thing - not even a mention in the newsletter. With no SKY News and being in the Atlantic Ocean they said they had no signal. Having been on holidays further afield and receiving SKY News it is obvious this ship is not geared up with any decent satellite technology. One passenger said he had cruised the Southern China seas and had SKY News all the time. Most days there was a 'theme' to the dining. ie. German, Indian, Italian foods, but nothing on the Royal Wedding Day. Could they not have had a British evening but in hindsight perhaps not or they would have spoilt any English menu.

I will never cruise on MSC again even if they offered me a free cruise. This was echoed by lots of passengers on board this cruise. Its the first time I have wanted a holiday to finish.

Publication Date: 05/13/11