Carnival Elation Cruise Review by cod

Embarkation: Mobile
Cabin Category: 4E
Value-for-Money Not Rated

goodbye carnival
We've cruised many times in the past and were supposed to be on a hiatus this year..until I saw a good price on this cruise and talked DH in to going for Mothers Day, birthday, anniversary, etc. I think this was our 9th Carnival cruise. Enough background, on to the cruise.

We went to our cabin on day one to find the beds together and immediately found our cabin steward to tell him that neither one of us seniors is physically able to crawl over the other to get out of bed! I also asked, "where is the chair"? He said the beds would be separated before bedtime (they were!) but that 'this class ship had no chair'. I begged to differ having been on the Fantasy a couple of times but let that drop. However, he found us a small chair and put it in our cabin which really we thought was very nice (and a tip was in order!). Next it was on to the see the matre'd and plea for a change to early dining if possible. We booked just 2 weeks ago and I was not very hopeful and was actually prepared to eat late each night but fortunately we got notice the next day that we were switched!! So far we are batting a hundred.

Let me say right off that the ships staff were all very nice...from our room stewards to the waiters we had for each seating and - really - every one we encountered throughout the ship. And we lucked out on table mates. too.

As for the ship itself, we thought it looked pretty good. But it had the slowest, squeakiest elevators we've ever seen!!

HOWEVER, I do not think the food quality was as good as it has been in the past and not having a theater show on 2 nights out of 5 is a letdown, too. Entertainment on Carnival never was their forte but has really hit a new low in our opinion. Their singers and dancers had two shows...one very good (rock and roll!) and one they need to rethink..Win. Oh, they had something going on each night in the theater but I do not consider a game show, nightly bingo or line dancing on stage as being 'entertainment'.

So it's back to NCL and RC for these two old fogies....definitely more our style.

Publication Date: 05/13/11