Ruby Princess Cruise Review by scbwino: Ruby 4/17/11 Eastern Caribbean

Member Since 2007

Compare Prices on Ruby Princess Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Ruby 4/17/11 Eastern Caribbean

Sail Date: April 2011

This was our 4th spring break cruise in a row, all on different cruise lines.

Since the Ruby embarked at terminal 29 and disembarked at terminal 2, we parked at Park N Go which was very convenient and quick - no more than 15 minutes from car parked to ship terminal.

The VS stateroom had nice furnishings but seemed a little smaller than our last two suites. On the other hand the balcony was huge - we had up to 13 people out there and there was plenty of room left.

Service was very good at all levels and venues. Food was also good; the appetizers/starters and pasta in the MDR were very good as was the food I tried at the International Cafe and Vines. I couldn't talk my family into a specialty restaurant meal, which was a first for us.

We used Anytime Dinning. Since there were 13 of us traveling together, if we wanted tables next to each other the wait was between 40 - 60 minutes. If we split up, the wait was less than 10 minutes. Never had any other issues More with wait times or crowding.

I did not go to any of the shows but my family enjoyed the two they went to. Enjoyed all of the ports but mostly enjoyed my time on the expansive balcony.

Seas were relatively calm except the first full day at sea. We did notice movement and vibrations in our cabin but not enough to really bother us. Only real negative I can think of was occasional smell of cigarettes on balcony - not enough to keep me off of the balcony but noticeable.

Overall, we had a great time and the Ruby is a nice looking ship. We would probably sail her again given the right timing and itinerary. I will post more detail and pictures of D737 on the Princess Message Board. Less

Read more Ruby Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Ruby Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Ruby Princess Suite with Balcony Emerald Deck D737

In addition to the queen size bed there is a cocktail table and side chair and couch. There is also a wet bar in the entry hallway next to the main TV. The couch can convert 2/3 rd's of itself into a single berth. There is a pull down bed in the ceiling parallel to the couch. Both were suitable for 10 & 13 year girls to sleep in but I'm not so sure about adults. When the couch is deployed as a berth, floor space does become tight in that area. The bedroom area also had a vanity/writing desk which was next to one of the bathroom entrances which was next to the closet entrance. There is a peninsular wall that holds two TV's (large facing couch, small facing bed) that helps separate the bedroom and living area's; there is also a curtain that can be pulled between the two areas for privacy. The bathroom has two entrances: one from the entry hallway and one from the bedroom. The bathroom is separated by a door into two compartments: one with a shower and Jacuzzi tub and the other with the sink and toilet. As has been noted before, there are no shelves or storage in the bathroom. There were plenty of drawers throughout the room and enough hanging space in the small walk-in closet for the belongings of all four of us.The very large balcony was furnished with two padded loungers with a side table. There is also a round wood table with four padded chairs for dinning. We often had 13 people on the balcony with plenty of room to spare. There is a structural column in the right half of the balcony. It is about two feet or so wide. It really didn't bother us and in fact I used it to block the sun on several occasions.

Went to Governors beach. Very close to pier. Not crowded and better snorkeling than Trunk Bay.

Went to Trunk Bay - somewhat long trip from St. Thomas. It was crowded and snorkeling wasn't as good as I hoped.

Spent 4 hours at Orient beach - always enjoyable.