MSC Magnifica Cruise Review by jimrobjo

Cruise Date: April 2011
Embarkation: Venice
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
Cabin Category: 11
See More About: MSC Magnifica Cruise Reviews | Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | MSC Cruises Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: MSC Magnifica Review (by Cruise Critic!) | MSC Magnifica Deck Plans
MSC Magnifica Easter 2011
After a few days in venice joined Magnifica at Venice. First impressions were my goodness( or similar words) how big. Embarkation easier that the crowds milling around suggested.

We had been upgraded to a cabin with balcony and were surprised at the plushness and room it had. Spotlessly clean and well laid out. The balcony was at an angle of 45 degrees to the sea so we had a panoramic view of our side.

During the whole cruise the rooms remained spotlessly clean and it was obvious the steward was active in his work - well done! The television did not have a british news channel, just cnn etc adverts and all

Mealtimes

Breakfast was served in a sit down and self service cafeteria. We usually went for the cafeteria and found food good. Plenty of choice for all tastes but queing left a lot to be desired. The sit down breakfast was a fantastic experience and well worth the effort of wearing long trousers for.

Lunch again served as a sit down or self service. Hectic to say the least but again food was good. Disappointed that everyday they ran out of glasses and cups.

Dinner was served in the designated dining room. Everyday there was a suggested dress code but I did not stick to it as I did not pack a tie, fortunately I had a jacket. Food very good for me as I am very picky. Only one evening where I struggled to widen my girth! Special mention to the other seven fellow guests at the table, three girls from wales, elderly couple from Bristol direction and a couple from Lewis. There was plenty of chat.

Shore excursions were fine but if going be selective as you could do it a lot cheaper on your own, a warning however be careful in Istanbul.

The entertainment was acceptable but did not match that of NCL on a previous cruise.

If I needed a criticism then the fact that we were eating of melamine(plastic) plates and drinking out of plastic cups and glasses in cafeteria which is not what I expected for this level of cruising. Coffee and water was only included at lunch and breakfast. I also find that the enforced tipping charge 7 euro per day each and 15% surcharge on all purchases a bit extreme, and something all cruise lines need to address.

We did have a good time and if we wanted to do the same itinerary again would choose this ship.

Publication Date: 05/12/11