Balmoral Cruise Review by anthony mcconville

Cruise Date: April 2011
Embarkation: Southampton
Destination: British Isles & Western Europe
Cabin Category: I
See More About: Balmoral Cruise Reviews | British Isles & Western Europe Cruise Reviews | Fred. Olsen Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Balmoral Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Balmoral Deck Plans
Iberia during easter
The ship is of a very good standard and is always being refurbished. Our Cabin was a little on the small size but adequate for our needs. We personally would like a bath rather than shower, but cost prohibits such luxury. The service on board was first class, mainly Filipino waiters and waitresses. The shows were of a reasonable standard with some talented artists. I thought the ports of call could of been better. Casablanca was an utter disaster. I think as this cruise was mainly for the elderly a little more thought could of gone into the shows. We had a British night and a western night, and the shows were of a good standard, however, I got the impression the audience would of preferred a "sing a long" type show on each occasion.

This was the first cruise I have ever had to pay for a "shuttle bus" to get from the ship to the main resort. All other cruises I have been on always provided a "free" shuttle bus service. Cut backs like this do no favours for the cruise line.

The food as always was plentiful and the quality was superb. I did think the portions in the main dining room could of been a little larger. As I'm a fussy eater I was a little disappointed that the menu didn't cater for "plain food" eaters. Everything I received had one sauce or another poured on it, I don't like sauces.

The price of alcohol on the ship is akin to a reasonable pub price so no complaints there. The "tax free" goods I think were rather expensive for what they were. Overall a good quality cruise, with good staff.

Publication Date: 05/12/11