Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by rosey1946: A mixed Epic Adventure

Family & Children 5.0

Compare Prices on Norwegian Epic Eastern Caribbean Cruises

A mixed Epic Adventure

Sail Date: April 2011

I just returned from back to back cruises on NCL epic which means 7 day cruise to Mexico and Roaton then 7 day cruise to St. Thomas, St. Martin and Nassau. This was our 14 and 15 cruise on NCL.

The Epic is a very unique cruise ship. I will divide my comments as follows:

Positive-The ship is beautiful. Every area is wonderfully decorated with colors that are not gaudy and wonderful to enjoy. The layout of the ship was so easy to navigate we were running around within a day with no problems. For a huge ship it never really felt huge and not really crowded. Our stateroom, a deluxe balcony, was spacious, lots of floor space, exciting with its' curving walls and so much storage with 3 people we left a lot of the space empty. The balcony was comfortable and what saved the cruise for us (more about that later). The crew was one of the best we've sailed with. Every crew member smiling, helpful and couldn't do enough. The entrance to the ship when we embarked was such fun, More with music and a party atmosphere. The entertainment was mixed, but Cirqe itself was above any entertainment we've had on any ship and Blue Men lots of fun and unique. A note on the embarkation and disembarkation: The fastest, least stressful of any we've done. I couldn't say enough about the BAGS program which we purchased. Our bags were taken off the ship and we did not see them again until we arrived at our home airport. Wonderful. Excursions we took from the ship and all except Miami Everglades trip were great and fun.

Negative-Keep in mind I have never said anything negative in all our NCL trips,

but I feel I have to mention a few things. The worst problem for us was the lack of a promenade deck. There is no place to lounge and watch the sea out of the sun. Thankfully we had our balcony. There were no areas to have quiet as even the Quiet zone was sunny and again not for watching the sea. The pool area is a major mistake for NCL. The pools are ridiculous they are so small. There is lots of space on the pool deck so I don't know why there is so much space given to fountains and extra lounge areas and tiny pools.

The entertainment. While we loved some of the entertainment so much took place after 11 at night that for some people like us we spent several nights in our cabins. This ship is wonderful for party people and those who enjoy late nights. The casino is huge and many people used this area. Think Las Vegas at sea. Also, the noise level is loud and everywhere on the ship. I would have liked the sound muted a bit. A last note on the entertainment. Howl at the Moon, dueling pianos with a rock and roll theme had some fun moments. However, the constant request for money and comments by one performer of a negative statement about women was insulting. I've never had any of this on NCL and I think it is just this one venue. NCL has always been respectful and careful to be open to all people.

Summery.

Did we have fun on the cruise? Absolutely. Do we love NCL. We already have another NCL cruise scheduled. Epic as I said previously is unique. Wonderful for lots of reasons and well worth checking out to see this incredible ship. It has some flaws and I know NCL has been busy fixing some problems. With all said, congratulations to NCL for the courage and innovation to create some new and in so many ways, wonderful. Less

Read more Norwegian Epic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Epic Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Epic 8181

Huge area. So much storage we did not use it all. Loved the bathtub. Not crazy about the toilet-not enough privacy. Balcony wonderful. Location by the elevators was wonderful-no noise and so close. The decor and colors perfect and exciting.

(5.5)
We took the Mexican cuisine and Playa Mia excursion. We had a wonderful time. The cooking part was so well organized that even I, a non-cook, enjoyed the lunch I had made. The chef was a joy and made the experience just fun. Playa Mia is beautiful and lots of lounges, water toys and perfect beach experience.

Read 3122 Cozumel Reviews

One of my favorite ports. We did the Jolly Rogers catamaran and snorkeling trip. Great boat, crew was fun and careful with first time snorkelers. Not huge amount of fish but my 14 year old loved the reel and coral.

Read 1650 Roatan Reviews

I scheduled Ultimate Island cruise and tour. This was good for my party as we had a 77 year old, 64 and 14 year old and we all enjoyed it. Fun cruise on the Explorer on the lagoon. Entertainment, open bar and clean spacious boat. We had a bus tour of the island and time on the French side to shop or eat.

I love St. Thomas for snorkeling and this excursion was a good one. We took the Cat Turtle Cove snorkel. The boat is new, clean and set up for snorkeling. We couldn't stop at Turtle Cove as the water was rough so we went on to Shipwreck Cove. Good snorkeling. What I appreciated was the crew. Very good with a large group of children who had never snorkeled. They fed the fish so we had lots to view and we saw two turtles which was very exciting. I would do this excursion again.

Read 2333 St. Thomas Reviews