Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by TEACRUISER: EPIC Eastern Review

Family & Children 2.0

Compare Prices on Norwegian Epic Eastern Caribbean Cruises

EPIC Eastern Review

Sail Date: April 2011

Just returned from sailing on NCL Epic, Spa deluxe balcony with my mother. I am mid 40's and she mid 60's. My general opinions on some things...

Cabin: Great storage, comfortable beds. Shower space was fine. Toilet area fine for smaller folks but couldnt imagine a larger person being in there. The doors are somewhat see through. You can see the outline and color of clothing items through the glass. Didn't matter with my mom and I and we gave each other respect and space when needed. There is a curtain as others have mentioned you can pull across to hide that area. There isnt walking space but hopefully not much time is spent in the room.

Great layout of the ship. Although it is NCL's largest it is incredibly easy to find your way around.

Taste main dining room was excellent. We actually ended up eating most dinner meals there. We have had Cagney's and La Cucina before and while the food was OK, it wasn't better worth the cover for us. Buffet was More great as usual with so many station you didn't really have to wait in lines. Great seating options inside, partially inside and covered outside.

Slam Allen blues band was incredible and super entertaining. Saw their show several times.

Pool: I actually do not like the pool layout. I think they did it best on the Pearl. On the Epic, you have your pool chairs in one area, the band facing away to the sitting areas. You can hear the band, just cant see them. We felt separated. Although the sitting area near the band was great. So many options for shade and relaxation. Two days due to the seas one of the pools were closed so you had all pool desk folks, including many many kids, in one small pool. Actually, both the pools at the main pool area are small. Felt like I was on a Disney cruise at times. However, most of the kids behaved very well.

White Hot. NOT. Just my opinion though. I dislike techno music and that is what was mostly played to a point. The "host" of the party kept telling everyone to jump and raise your hands in the air. I figured, what the heck, I'll play along....... then suddenly he would interrupt the song and the DJ would change the beat. Many teens were there enjoying themselves. Not many people were actually dancing and several people followed out behind us. The same DJ played great music one day pool side so he has the power :-). We visited Senor Frogs at two ports and their "host" really knew how to rowdy the crowd. Got folks to make complete fools of themselves and have a blast and this included younger and older folks. They should send their host and DJ on a little off ship excursion to do research.

Layout and location of casino is perfect. Smoke wasn't a factor at all.

Staff was incredible which they always are on the newer ships.

All in all a great time and we plan to go again with more people.

POOL CHAIRS: not sure what they can do without pissing folks off but people placing towels on multiple chairs at 730a and not showing their faces at the pool until after 11a is completely rude. We are early birds and were at the pool by 9a and got decent chairs but saw 20+ chairs go unused for hours. Not sure what a realistic solution would be as I know all ships have the problem.

Excursions: In St. Martin we did the Orient beach tour. Great beach,lunch and very informative trip to the beach. It is very run down but once there, beautiful. In St Thomas we did the catamaran champagne trip. Again, great time. The staff was great and was a beautiful relaxing day. In Nassau we just walked around.

Getting off the ship was the easiest yet. They had already given times depending on your floor so you didnt have 1000 people trying to be the first off. Walk off's were first within a certain time then they started the others. Our time was a 915a and we were called at 9a. Through customs and outside by 915a. Checking in was actually just as easy. We arrived at 1030a (no traffic) and were in the sitting/ waiting area by 1050a at the latest. Started letting the B2B cruisers on before noon and then took everyone else by section they happened to be seated.

There is alot to offer on this ship that we, personally, didn't care about ( Cirque, Blue man, but heard great things. Less

Read more Norwegian Epic cruise reviews >>