Voyager of the Seas Cruise Review by cruisemontana: Good, but not fabulous

Compare Prices on Voyager of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Good, but not fabulous

Sail Date: April 2011
Embarkation: Galveston

We are a group of eight ranging in age of 11-80.

First, the fabulous - We could not have asked for anything better. We pre-booked (on-line) MTD with dinner at 6 for at sea days and 6:30 for port days. Our wait staff, Nic and Noel, as well as our table location, by a window were fabulous. Very accommodating and engaging, Nic brought out extra meals (not too many, just a taste) without us asking and was happy to bring extra when we did ask. He also kept our son entertained with dinner puzzles. Our room attendant (we had three cabins, one with balcony) took care of everything we needed and had clean towels for us twice a day.

The good, food in the dining room was good, (salads were fabulous) but pretty ordinary. Meat dish (beef, pork, chicken) with potato; pasta dish; seafood selection. Shrimp served two nights was kinda small, but good. Lobster also small, good but not great. Nic automatically brought extra shrimp and lobster. Desserts seemed mass produced and tasted as More they were. Windjammer food was typical buffet, better food than I've had on Carnival, but nothing that I would just throw together at home. Fresh fruit consisted of melon (3 types)and pineapple. They also had whole apples and bananas. No exotic fruit, strawberries, or even grapes.

Cabins were nice, as much room as I expected. Again, room steward kept everything stocked (towels, ice). Balcony was fabulous with two chairs, table and standing room.

Entertainment: Cruise director Mike Szwajkoski was fabulous! He was everywhere and has a great sense of humor. Would cruise with him again. Derek Lewis at the Pig and Whistle also fabulous. Very funny - only complaint is that if you go back a second night, the routine is the same. Comedian Etta May - Fabulous. Ice show was good, I was expecting more based on review read before the cruise. Watched one production show, it was good, but not enough to see the others.

Gambling: my parents enjoy this activity and I was pleased to see the Casino was reasonable and saw lots of winners - including our group. Bingo was reasonable at $20 a session (4 games) played on the last day and won. Big negative to the casino - Smoking was allowed. Hated leaving there smelling like a cigarette especially in our nice dinner clothes.

Getting on/off the ship: very easy for us. Dropped everyone off and used EZ parking just a block away. Took 20 min. to get on. Did pre-board on-line. Used self-assist to get off which took less than 30 min.

Kids club: Our 12 year old thought it was fabulous!, we only saw her at dinner. She has a very out-going personality, so walking around with a teen posse is up her alley. Looking over the activities, they were just good. She spent a lot of time playing apples to apples, in the arcade, or scrap-booking. They also had rock climbing once and ice skating once.

My 11 year old boy went to his club 1/2 the time. They mostly played some form of dodge-ball. Science activities were demonstrations, not hands-on.

My 17 year old girl did not do any club activities. She tried a few times, but is kinda shy and everything looked intimidating. ( See next comment)

Kid club counselors were not friendly or engaging. When I walked to check on my daughter, they were behind the counter doing paperwork. Twice I saw a young girl sitting by herself, doing nothing. The counselors made no effort to engage her. In my son's club they ran the games, but were not friendly.Did not try to welcome my 17 year old.

This cruise did have a lot of unsupervised children from Mexico. The only disruption for me was during the shows, esp. the comedians, they yelled out several times interrupting the guest.

Spa: good, not fabulous. Booked ladies night for myself, mom and daughter. Felt rushed, did not have a relaxing area for us to be together before and after the session. Also did not like the push to sell expensive products that they deemed we "needed" based on our service. turned a should be relaxing massage into a marketing pitch.

Sports deck: fabulous. Great area, fun basketball, soccer, etc Less

Read more Voyager of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Voyager of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Voyager of the Seas Interior Stateroom Deck 6 7533

Since you need to tender into Belize City, we booked the beach break with the cruise. Tender line was very confusing and unorganized. We ended up waiting close to an hour to get off the ship. Could be eliminated if each different booked tour met at 15 minute intervals instead of all at once at the same place. The beach was just that, a beach. Very, very, very small island. One bar, one grill. The plus side, free chairs, small huts for shade and free use of kayaks. The beach was very rough, with small, sharp shells everywhere. Once we were done in the sun, we were stuck on the island. Would have liked to had a flexible tender back to the ship or to the mainland. Tenders took some time, maybe this should be a stay on the ship day.

(5.5)
Cozumel: This is the second time I have been to cozumel, both times doing completely different things. On this trip we hired an independent driver to take us to Tulum. We did not use the ship's tour due to 1) expense and 2) we wanted the freedom of staying at the ruins as long as we wanted. Tulum was fabulous! Afterward we did some port shopping, with this being the best of the three ports as far as number of shops, clean and friendly.
Read 3099 Cozumel Reviews

Roatan, Honduras: We booked an independent driver for the day with Victor Bodden's tours. Fabulous. We did the zip line and monkeys (both highlights of the trip) and then hit the beach for an hour. Our driver, Barney, was very accommodating and knowledgeable. Do not miss the monkeys, be careful they can open a zipped purse and steal pill bottles!
Read 1645 Roatan Reviews