Marina Cruise Review by smartlady25: Oceania's Marina provides a wonderful experience

smartlady25
Member Since 2007

Compare Prices on Marina Europe - Western Mediterranean Cruises

Oceania's Marina provides a wonderful experience

Sail Date: April 2011
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

I am home only two days but want to share what a wonderful experience we had on the Pearls of the Riviera cruise mainly because of the perfection of our experience on the ship itself. The ship is absolutely beautiful. It is a larger more sophisticated model of the smaller Oceania ships. Our cabin was about the same size as on the smaller ones with the exception of the bathroom which was bigger mainly due to bathtub. My husband loves the veranda and used it daily whereas I like the open outdoor spaces where others gather. My strongest kudos are for the quality of the food throughout the ship. I was able to find fabulous choices in all eating venues. I am one of those picky eaters who likes meat, chicken, pasta and vegetables. I was able to find divine choices everywhere. Having eaten in Polo and Toscana many times, I knew we would have wonderful meals there. As usual, I was correct!!!! I also ate at Jacques and Red Ginger. At the former I had a divine veal stew and the More latter a sliced steak. I am not a lover of French or Asian Fusion but the choices were great!!! The biggest surprise was dinner at the Terrace Cafe while we were anchored at Amalfi. We ate dinner as the sun set. Insignia was in the area and came to view the Marina with those of us on each ship waving to each other. This was a unique experience. But, my real shock, since in all the sailings I had never had dinner in the Terrace Cafe was the absolutely outstanding food, cooked to my specifications. I had choices of three steaks - fillet mignon, rib-eye or sirloin at the grilling station. My husband had gigantic shrimp and lobster tails cooked to perfection. I had soup, salad, carved meat, and cannelloni before I started on the desserts, which are divine everyday in every venue. I am now sorry that in the past I did not take advantage of the Terrace for dining. It is extremely casual and we sat there for over 3 hours both dining and chatting with some of the other cruisers we had become friendly with because of cruise critic. We also had the pleasure of speaking to Frank Del Rio for about a half hour as his family was also dining in the Terrace Cafe. What a nice, down to earth person who is really hands on in running Oceania. He is extremely personable and approachable.

As you can tell, I give the cruise on Marina a very, very high score. A 9 out of 10. My only corrective criticism was I thought we had a full line of drawers and shelved alongside the closet. I told my husband he could have the drawers on top and I would use the shelves in what I thought was a cabinet. Wrong, it is the side of the hidden refrigerator. So we had to share 4 drawers. In addition for some reason the drawers in the desk are very small although the desk is standard size. The drawers are only about 6 inches in length so it's only good for underwear or t-shirts you need to fold in quarters. My suggestion to Oceania for this is put the refrigerator back

under the desk and give us girls some really usable shelves!!!! The same with the two outlets. With all the new plug shapes for phones, Ipads, cameras, etc. We need Oceania to leave an extension cord in the room or to place another outlet somewhere. Perhaps near the couch so we can charge the electrical equipment on the coffee table. My final suggestion is with tendering. The color coded system can really be improved with a few tweaks. First, all passengers should have the opportunity to leave the ship at the same time as Oceania's shore excursions. So, some seats on all early tenders should be saved for those traveling with private tour guides. Second, the color coded cards should be used in a very specific order so all those working the disembarking procedure know exactly what comes next and colors like green and cream should not be one after the other. Additionally, the tickets should be numbered so that when a tender is not full, the staff at tender level can call up to those in the Lounge to say, for example, that "Blue #s one to ten can report to the tender." With about two hundred people sitting in the Lounge where we had waited about 50 minutes we were finally called and our tender left with at least 15 empty seats. Comfortable for us, but useless for getting cruisers off the ship in an expedient manner.

Finally, one last suggestion, for finicky eaters like me. I would love to have the opportunity to select which of the four restaurants I want to select with my 4 pre-boarding choices. It would really be nice if I could pick to dine in the restaurants I want to eat in rather than being told I am entitled to one reservation in each. Or perhaps there should be a way to barter the choices on the Oceania website as I know people who, for example would have loved to have switched my Red Ginger reservation for their Toscana reservation.

So now you can see why I can't stop raving about my experience on Marina. It is a perfect fit for cruisers who as Oceania says, "Your world, your way!!!!"

Kudos to Oceania. We are already booked on Riviera for next June!!!!! We can't wait!!!!! Thanks Oceania for a great vacation. And thanks Cruise Critic for the wonderful new friends we have made as a result of the Roll Calls. We continue to meet some of the greatest people because of the opportunity to communicate with fellow travelrs through the website. Less

Read more Marina cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Marina Review >>

Cabin review: Marina Conciege Level Veranda Deck Nine 9045

Barcelona was a wonderful city to visit. We arrived on a Wednesday morning for a three day visit before boarding Oceania's Marina to sail the Western Mediterranean. We used the Ho Ho, which we highly recommend. The highlight of our Barcelona experience was a tour of Montserrat including lunch at a beautiful restaurant. It was arranged through a company called Spanish Trails Adventure and it was one of the best tours I have ever had because of how well Tracy, who owns the company planned it and because of the outstanding tour guide Saskia Mann. Saskia was an amazing guide who never left our side. She hiked with us, ate with us, explained every last detain to us. Her English was impeccable and we loved having her with us. She was charming, extremely fluent in English, funny, and a delight to be with. Montserrat was amazing, but the meal at the restaurant was also exceptional. Kudos to Spanish Trails and to Saskia for giving us a most memorable day!!! If you are going to Barcelona, contact them. The quality of there service was a 5+. Their website is www.spanish-trails.com

This was my second visit to Pisa and Florence and I expected an average day trip to two places I had visited before. Well, I had the surprise of my life when we met our guide Paola Migliorini who owns Tuscany Tours on the pier after disembarking the Oceania's Marina. She was waiting for us and swept us off to Pisa. Paola is a fully licensed tour guide which is very different from a driver. She knows all the historical information for each of the sites we visited and had to pass tests in order to get the license. She didn't drop us off at places. She went in with us and gave us a detailed tour within each place in perfect English. The old expression, "You get what you pay for," best explains this as we got MORE that what we paid for. Paola was able to bypass traditional lines and drive in areas others could not which saved us a wealth of time. In addition, her fund of information was extraordinary and when we stopped in front of specific statues, doors, columns, artwork, etc. we got a full understanding of how and why the artist did what he did. Paola also drove her own super comfortable van which made traveling from the port of Livorno to Pisa and Florence a breeze. Paola also took us to her home for a brief stop and that was quite special. You don't always get a peek at how foreigner's love. It was very quaint and what I would expect in historical Florence. Paola was kind, caring and considerate. She took us to a wonderful Italian restaurant for lunch. In fact, everything she did was perfect. She was very bubbly and friendly although she was highly knowledgeable and professional. There were eight of us on the tour all having met on Cruise Critic. Everyone felt the same way about Paola. She was a gem. If you are going to Florence or the surrounding area, get in touch with her at www.florencetour.com . You will have an experience you will never forget!!!!