Carnival Freedom Cruise Review by ecmc: Cruising with family & friends

Entertainment Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Freedom Western Caribbean Cruises

Cruising with family & friends

Sail Date: April 2011

We had 12 people with us on this cruise, 6 adults and 6 kids. The adults were 40-50 and the kids 10-14. About half of us had cruised before. We chose to drive to FT Lauderdale because of the high airline prices. We came in on Saturday and stayed at The Hyatt Place about 5 mins from the port. We got a great rate,the staff were very friendly, and the hotel was nice.

We got to the port at 10:00 am, which is early, but we were some of the first people on the ship by 11:30 am. I recommend getting there early so you don't have to wait in long lines as Port Everglades is a very busy place. Once on the ship we headed straight to the Lido deck and hung out by the pool and grabbed some lunch. We met our favorite bar waiter on the first day "Redman" and he took care of us very well for the rest of the cruise. He even remembered us by the names we are called, not the name on the sail & sign card.

Our rooms were ready by 1:30 and we headed up to unpack. The rooms are good More size and have plenty of storage. We only had 1 problem, our shower flooded the bathroom, but our cabin steward always cleaned it up, so no big deal. Also, our steward always had the room cleaned and restocked with towels after we went out for awhile.

I have read many reviews complaining about the decor of the ship, the food,smoking, and people saving lounge chairs. First, I didn't see anything wrong with decor and if you are worried about the color of the wallpaper, you are not going to have a good time on your vacation. The food was absolutely great in the dining rooms and the Sun King steakhouse. The buffets were like any other buffet, but I thought most food was good. I do not smoke, and did not

have a problem with smokers anywhere, and I spent a lot of time in the casino. As far as people saving lounge chairs, most people want to be by the pool areas, and if you want a chair you will need to get up by 7 am and reserve one. That just how it is. Our group spent most of the day hanging out around the pools and had a great time.

I felt that all of the staff were very friendly and helpful whenever we needed them. Debarkation was very simple, we did the self assist and were in our cars before 7 am. We were all very impressed with the Freedom ship and would recommend this trip to anyone. Less

Read more Carnival Freedom cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Freedom Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Freedom Balcony Lido 9270

We had a nice balcony cabin on the Lido deck. The room was good size and had plenty of storage space. The bathroom was small but adequate. We had a family of 4 sleeping on a king bed, a couch bed, and a pull down bunk. We heard some hallway noise at night, but nothing that kept me awake. We never had any space problems and I recommend getting on the Lido deck if possible because it was very close to the pool.

We booked the 7 mile beach excursion through Carnival. We got to the beach around 9:30 and stayed until 12:30. Our kids had fun riding the banana boat and playing in the inflatable water park, both cost extra. After the beach excursion we headed to Margaritaville and ate lunch and partied a little. By the time we were through eating, it was time to head back to the ship. Grand Cayman looked very nice and I wish we would have been able to stay longer.

We did not book any excursions for Key west and chose to walk around the city on our own. All of the kids wanted to parasail and we found a tour guide on the street within minutes of coming to town. We got a great deal $35.00 each if you ride 3 at a time. While the kids were gone we walked around, had lunch at a soundside bar and drank a couple of beers. When the kids got back, we went, to a couple of shops, bought some t-shirts and stuff, then the dads and kids headed back to the ship to have some fun while the moms did some more shopping. Key West is nice, and I would love to go back sometime.
Read 729 Key West Reviews

We booked the Sunset Jamaica Grande resort tour through Island Marketing and had a great time. Everyone enjoyed hanging out at the pools, playing on the waterslides, and the beach. The girls were able to get their hair braided by one of the locals on the beach. The tour was all inclusive with free food, drinks, and alcohol. You will have to take a taxi to the resort, $4 pp each way, we had no problem finding a bus for our group, and they were there promptly at the specified time to take us back our ship. I recommend doing some type of tour in Ocho Rios, because there is no way I would walk around that place on my own.