Carnival Freedom Cruise Review by mparks1485: Disappointed in Carnival

Compare Prices on Carnival Freedom Southern Caribbean Cruises

Disappointed in Carnival

Sail Date: April 2011
Destination: Southern Caribbean

My husband and I sailed on the Carnival Freedom in April, 2011. This was my third time cruising with Carnival and my husband's first time cruising. The ship is nice - typical Carnival decor. Everything was very clean and as expected (rooms and public spaces). The waitstaff was excellent each night in the dining room, we were even sad to say goodbye to them the last night. Our head steward was also very pleasant and did an awesome job keeping the room clean...didn't have to worry about anything all week!

However there were some things I was very disappointed with as a returning cruiser. I feel like the quality of food has gone way down (in the regular dining room). We ate in the steakhouse twice, which has higher quality food, but even then, the temperature of the meat was off...All in all, why should we have to pay extra money to eat good food?

Other vacation-downers: The prices at the bar are kind of steep and you are forced to pay a gratuity, even when the bar More tenders are not even friendly (sometimes borderline nasty!); The cocktail hour that is held for returning guests was held twice (one for early seating and one for late). The later was more than two hours before our dinner seating, which is way too early so we didn't bother going; communication was very poor this time around - I felt like I didn't know which nights were the dressy nights until I saw what others were wearing. In past cruises the director was more vocal about these things; our excursion in Jamaica (Dunn's River Falls and bamboo beach) was a disappointing. Besides being practically forced into buying souvenirs, the beach water was filthy with garbage. *The falls is a must-see, though!! Less

Read more Carnival Freedom cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Freedom Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Freedom Balcony Upper

BEAUTIFUL beach! No excursion needed. Just take the bus or a taxi to the beach!1

Awesome drinking town (mostly good for adults). Do not need an excursion or even a cab!
Read 729 Key West Reviews

Dunn's river is a must. Beware of natives trying to sell you things. Beautiful sights!