Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by junmatno: Great Family Cruise!!!

junmatno
Member Since 2009

Family & Children 1.0

Compare Prices on Carnival Splendor Mexican Riviera Cruises

Great Family Cruise!!!

Sail Date: April 2011
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

Our vacation started on Saturday April 16th...we drove from Salinas,CA to Long Beach and spend the night on the Queen Mary..such a beautiful ship it was and comfortable rooms also. It was the weekend of the Long Beach Grand Prix, but traffic wasn't bad at all. We even made a couple trips to the Wal-Mart in downtown LB, and there was no traffic.

Embarkation: We used Early check-in at about 11 am outside of the dome, people were JUST STARTING to get off the ship, and the rep told us to come back at about 12:30. Well, we came back, and sat around with everyone else until they started calling zones at 2 pm. We had zone 5, and were on the ship in about 20 minutes total. My 3 sons, 16,12, &4 and MIL were in awe of the ship when we got on. We went to the three cabins, 1050 (spa inside) for my two oldest, and 2 balconies, 1054, 1056 for DH and myself and MIL and DS, 4 yrs. They were as expected, and our room steward was Erfan, who was wonderful ALL WEEK. He knew our names by More day 2 and always took care of us. He opened up the baclony divider at our request, and we had a nice long balcony.

Day 1-Sea Day: This was a nice day of relaxing, exploring and hanging out. It was a gloomy trip down to Cabo and we didn't go swimming at all, just some shopping.

Day 2-Cabo #1: This was a great day. I had originally made Mazatlan plans with Mazatlan Frank, but due to that port's cancellation, he moved our deposit to a Cabo group called "Croc" who were wonderful. Victor Paredes was our guide and was very knowledgeable about Cabo and the areas in general. We saw areas we had never seen and took our time. This took up our whole first day, and had a great glass bottom boat trip to Los Arcos at the end.

Day 3-Cabo#2: This day we left the kids onboard and my DH, MIL and I went to do some shopping but it was HOT! So we ended up at a great restaurant by the docks, I think it was Alexanders, which had great fajitas, and great tacos. Then we walked back to the ship after going to the mall. This day was special for me because I got to surprise my husband by proposing to him before a bingo game. I am taking him on a surprise 7 day Eastern Caribbean cruise in July and we are renewing our vows in St. Thomas.

Day 4-Puerto Vallarta: We were going to head to the water park at Sea Life but the taxis wanted $7 per person, which would have been an $84 round trip for taxi only plus the admission...So we went to the beach for a couple hours instead, then went back to the ship for the pool. We had been here before so really didn't need to go downtown. And my MIL just wanted to go to the swap meet next to the ship.

Day 5&6- Days at Sea: We had a great 2 days at sea, went to the waterpark, hung out playing games, did the Groove for St. Jude. We also went to the past guest party, which I really loved the new video with the towel animals. It was very cute. We had a 9 year old on our cruise that had been on 26 cruises already, and her grandmother had been on 48 of them!

We had a great time with Marcello, Chocolate Thunder, Christy and damnit a new girl that had just come from the Imagination, she was soo sweet, I just can't remember her name!! Marcello was so gracious to help me with my surprise, and Felipe Couto was our CD and he was so funny. Our 12 and 16 year old were active participants in all the activities and Felipe always thanked them for their energy. He even remembered our sons when they called for a Mother's Day dedication!

Our dining room team of Ruelito, and I Made (call me Made) were also wonderful! They had my 4 year old spoiled after day one with chocolate milk as soon as he sat down, and Made said Xavier reminded him of his own son back in Indonesia...Jessa was our bar waitress in the MDR, and she fell in love with Xavier also, she always made sure the boys were taken care of even if they had the soda stickers, and we never waited very long when we ordered a drink.

Overall, we had a wonderful time!! First cruise for the kids and they can't wait to cruise again! Less

Read more Carnival Splendor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Splendor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Splendor Balcony Panorama 1054

I rate this as a 5+ because of our private tour. I know that Carnival recommends their excursions, but Mazatlan Frank who is very reputable was nice enough to transfer our deposit over to his Cabo partners.

Victor Paredes was our guide and he took us to the top of the mountain to see the Sea of Cortez and the Pacific Ocean, the Glass Blowing Factory, San Jose Del Cabo, and also a beautiful beach. It was great and I'm sure that I am not doing it justice. Just google MazatlanFrank and you'll see the link to the Cabo tours.