Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by RWLH1950: Pirates to port and Russian war ship to starboard

RWLH1950
0 Post

Compare Prices on Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Europe - British Isles & Western Cruises

Pirates to port and Russian war ship to starboard

Sail Date: March 2011
Destination: Europe - British Isles & Western
Embarkation: Dubai

I Cruised from Dubai to Southampton on Queen Mary II and I was treated like a king, the staff were were friendly and helpful and I met some wonderful people on board. I can't understand why some people write such bad reviews.

It is inevitable that on a large cruise ship that not every thing will be hunky-dory, some passengers will be a pain, there will be the occasional queues in the restaurants and the entertainment will not always meet every ones expectations. But am I complaining, no, not at all. I had a wonderful time.

I always try and go for late deals and save some money. This generally means I get an inside cabin and not the space I'd like, and some times I don't get the my 1st choice destination. Friends of mine always book a suit well in advance, but they cruise once every other year while I'll cruise twice a year. We end up spending the same amount of money. 'You pays your money and takes your choice'.

Cunard offer a particular style of cruising, More there's a lot of dressing up, evening suits and Dicky bows and men are always are expected to wear a jacket for the evening meal in the dinning room, a bit too heavy for me every night, but Hey-ho, there's always the self-service restaurant if you want to eat casual. The entertainment was excellent, a mixture classical singers and musicians as well as music from the shows. There were some outstanding comedians. And if I didn't fancy a show, there was always a film to watch.

Comparing cruise lines is all about give and take, some things are good on one and other things better on a different boat. I have yet to have a bad cruise experience, but I have enjoyed some cruses better than others, This cruise rates as on of the best.

My pet gripe is the automatic gratuities of $11 per person per day, so loved by many cruise companies and following the advice received from other Cruise Critic readers, I trotted down to the Purser's desk and asked them not to deduct gratuities from my account. This they did without any trouble or comment.

I do give tips, and I believe I tip quite generously, but I give it to the staff who gave me excellent service. I have little confidence that if I allowed the $320 to be deducted that it would all go to the staff. A fellow passenger said he'd heard that some people had received less favourable treatment when they approached the Purser's desk. I have found no evidence of this.

This was an excellent cruise, it ticked all the boxes. Less

Read more Queen Mary 2 (QM2) cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Review >>

Cabin review: Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Standard Inside Deck 11

The cabin was an inside room, but had a window over looking the atrium. It was clean, tidy with sufficient (just) storage areas for clothes for two. The bathroom and shower (Heads if you want to be nautical) were clean and very adequate, the soap and shampoos were replaced as required as were the towels and shower robes. The bed was excellent, large and comfortable with a good selection of pillows. The T.V. in the room was a flat screen, but the sound quality was poor. The room service I received was excellent. The fridge was stocked with water and canned drinks, but this was very expensive. $5.00 for a bottle of water. There were no difficulties in bringing drinks from shore.