Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by Family of Three

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by Family of Three
Celebrity Summit
        3-6 5+
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

Cruise With Our Three-Year Old
My husband and I planned this cruise for our 10 year anniversary. We brought our 3-year-old son along and arrived in San Juan a day before our departure. Embarkation was fast and easy.

We have been on five previous cruises - two on Celebrity, one on Disney, and one on Royal Caribbean. This one was on the Celebrity Summit and it ranked above the Royal Caribbean cruise, but did not live up to our first cruise on Celebrity five years ago. Disney was of course the best cruise with our young son, but the Fun Zone for kids on this cruise was great as well. Our son is having some separation anxiety right now so he only spent a total of about 6 hours there, but the staff worked very hard at engaging him and keeping him happy. They had tons of activities planned and the staff constantly played with the kids rather than just sitting back and watching them.

The ship overall showed some wear, most notably in the carpet in some areas. The pool area also needed attention with broken tiles, etc. The bathroom in our stateroom also showed some signs of age. My only real complaint however, was the odor that arose in our bathroom half way through our cruise. It was a sewer odor with almost a mildew-type smell mixed in. I tried to disregard it for a day or so, assuming that it would dissipate over time. When it got to the point that my son wouldn't go in the bathroom any longer because of the smell, I called guest relations and they said they would send a plumber. We never saw evidence of a plumber, the smell never went away, and guest relations never followed up with us on the problem. Since we only had one day left, I never called back, but was disappointed that the problem wasn't resolved.

The food on the cruise was better than Royal Caribbean and Disney, but it still did not compare to our first Celebrity cruise. My husband noted a lack of fresh fruit variety, and there seemed to be less variety in general than on our first cruise. This being said, I should add that the food was none-the-less delicious and fresh. I think just the economy in general is creating the necessity to cut some corners that may be evident in the food.

The service we received was excellent with all of the staff willing to go the extra mile to accommodate us.

We did not go to any of the nightly shows, but we did participate in several on-board activities that were great. We enjoyed the scrapbooking session where a very nice scrapbook page kit was provided. Also, the tour of the kitchen was very impressive.

Overall, we had an excellent cruise and Celebrity still rates as our favorite cruise line. Even with the cutbacks, the food was still outstanding, and we were very pleased with the value for our money.

Publication Date: 04/24/11