Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by tonyvnj: Better then expected !

tonyvnj
Member Since 2010
1 Post

Compare Prices on Explorer of the Seas Southern Caribbean Cruises

Better then expected !

Sail Date: March 2011
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)

My girlfriend and I have been on other cruises including freedom of the seas ( beautiful ship)so i have something to compare this cruise to. Explorer of the seas, what a great ship she is.I have read a lot of bad reviews about this ship. I don't get it.. Yes she is a few years old but its in really nice shape. Yes there is some rust out side but who cares ? your inside the boat ! if the rust outside really bugs you, bring a can of white paint with ya and go touch it up . Elevators slow ? Nope , they were fine and there is plenty of them.Leaving out of New Jersey was great , we live in Toms River so the 1 hour drive was the easiest trip i have taken to get to vacation , no plans ,trains, hotels ,just park and get on the ship very convenient ! Since we had a suite the boarding was just about instant. I the line in the tent ( terminal ) was long but went fast. once we got to the entrance of the indoor part of the terminal we were sent to suite check in. There was one other couple there More with 4 check in agents waiting. I was thinking this is was to easy ! The only issue we had was they entered my account as a cash account and took only $600 from my credit card when i wanted it to be unlimited so on the 2nd sea day we were told from the pool bar that there was no money in my account . This was an easy fix when we went down to see the cranky customer service people. they fixed the problem on one seapass card not my girlfriends card who was under the same account as mine. So about an hour later the same thing happened to her. i went down there with her card and they acted like it was a big problem to fix it.. ( lazy cranky person ).No problems they got it right after 4 visits.( that was my only problem on this entire trip.In the title of this review i said " better then expected" i said that because i was reading on some of the reviews leaving out of jersey there there was going to be a lot of NY and Jersey trailer trash on this ship. well this is what some of the other reviews said...The answer to that is NO, every single person i met or talked to were very very nice people and you become instant friends. The other thing i was thinking was leaving out of jersey we would be puking from the rough seas of the north east. NO , the ship felt like it was not moving all 11 nights of this trip. PERFECT !

The 8th night (i think it was the 8th night ) the ship had to make and emergency stop in puerto Rico because some one had a very serious medical problem,,we heard later on that that person was in ICU but was expected a full recovery thank god !

Food- Every place we ate was great to fine. we didn't have anything that we said wow that was miserable, everything was presented very nice , the food was hot and very tasty. I grow up in NY/Brooklyn ,I eat in some of the best in the city at least once a week, so i do have something to compare it to. some of the reviews said the food sucked... really ?? I just think some people can not be happy and enjoy what they have... for them i say stay home and be miserable .

Main dinning room was excellent , the waiter and asst waiter were very nice and always put an extra plate on our table .I am amazed that the staff can remember your name after meeting you just once.

Booze, once again, great and always fast ! the price of the drinks were not high as alot of reviewers say. its like any other half way decent place you go for a drink the pricing is just about the same .

We enjoyed all the shows that we went to , the ice show is a must do !! At first i didn't want to see it, then i went and wanted to see it again !! it was outstanding !

the piano man was great and the night club the chamber was open till 3 am and we stayed every night till the lights came on ! the bartenders at every bar was outstanding !! especially the Chamber night club !

Cruise director and asst , Chris Northey and Jacinda , awesome ! they kept you busy and they always were entertaining. i been on other cruise with Chris Northey and he was just as good . he has a dry humor and its hysterical.

We are with out a doubt going to book another trip on Explorer out of Bayonne.

there is a rumor that Freedom of the seas is coming north and explorer is going south to port Canaveral. I wonder how true that is. Either way ,,, we are going to book again with RCI and we are leaving from NJ AGAIN !.We are Platinum status so one more trip gets us to emerald.

if you booked this ship and the 11 day to the southern Caribbean you won't be disappointed.

just a little review about the cabin. The JS was perfect for the 2 of us. it had a walk in closet the room was plenty big and it had a 27 inch LCD flat screen TV. the balcony was nice with enough room to get comfortable . we used this balcony alot ! we had a nice size bathroom with a full tub too ! once you get a room like this its almost impossible to go any lower on category .Well worth the extra money to upgrade to this room.

see port reviews. Less

Read more Explorer of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Explorer of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Explorer of the Seas Junior Suite Deck 6

Junior.suite ,perfect for the 2 of us. excellent condition, very large bed and very comfortable, flat screen tv , large balcony and full bathroom with full tub.everything in this room worked perfect. not a single complaint. the only thing i can grumble about is after spending thousands of dollars for the trip and thousands of dollars for the seapass bill, why charge me for water in the room?? give me a few bottles of water on the house ,, no? i even got a few drinks for free in the club and bars on the ship. i tipped every time i got a drink, this got me a few drinks for free after a while,, but water ??? come on RCI i am sure you can let a few bottles of water get past you . this is my 6th RCI cruise,, Give me BOTTLE free lol lol PS the robe they let you use in the room is AWESOME !!

(5.5)
this is another beautiful place, we hit the beach near the Sandals hotel, i forgot the name of it , i think Dickinson's bay ? once again beautiful!!! perfect water perfect beach ! after the beach we hit this little restaurant bar called the beehive for a few more drinks and munchies... we wanted to the very last second before boarding.. we knew we had a 3 day trip back and we were not looking forward to the last day or so lol. We met a guy with a bunch of little monkeys. he said take a picture with the monkeys on our heads, my GF loved this !!! however they wanted like $5.00 per picture with my own camera lol, so she set it on speed shoot and we took like 30 pictures each for 10 bucks. and that its, time to sail back to New Jersey,, back to reality , back to 45 degree rainy weather !!!! just a note, each day was picture perfect !! no rain no clouds all sun and fun ! the day we docked in jersey, it started to rain as soon as we got off the boat and into the shuttle busses ,, lol here we go back to misary !! Cape liberty, it was easy to get outa there however i lost my blackberry in the luggage area.it was impossable to get back there once you leave the terminal. This was killer for me because i NEED that phone !! i was instanly misrable , crappy weather and a lost phone ,,yep i am back home !! lol, i started to drive back home and my GF called the port to see if they find this phone would they call us. they took our # and about 20 minuits later ,, guess what... they found the phone !! YES !! i turned back around and went back to the port to claim it !! now i feel a little better lol. today is april 23, i am typing this review and my GF is in the other room picking out our next RCI cruise ! before the night is over i will be booking something for sure .!! we can not wait !!!!
Read 801 Antigua Reviews

for the exception for some rude moron selling aloe on a the way to cockleshell beach this place i can live in. its a tiny little island but so nice !! you can see Nevis ! from the port we took a cab to this beach after doing some quick shopping I think it was $11 each for the ride. the trip was really cool we stopped on top of this hill and took pictures of the island, from this point you can see both the Atlantic and the Caribbean sea, really beautiful ( this is where my girlfriend got in to an argument with this idiot selling the aloe. he got nasty with her for some reason, i think because she was smoking and got to close to him, and was swatting at her she also said he was verbally abusive ., i didn't actually see this ( I AM GLAD I DIDNT ) , if i did i may have been locked up in a St Kitts prison for slamming this guy. Once we got to this beach we wanted to move to this island and never leave this area lol. we met a couple from NJ on the beach they were really nice, they were on the same ship , Pat and Lenny if you are reading this, it was really nice to hang with you and talk,, your really great people !!! There was this little bar/restaurant right behind where we had this perfect little umbrella and lounge chair set up. If you wanted a cold drink it was right there! she was drinking this frozen drinks , i think they were called " lions punch" they were going down real easy lol. We met a local , they call him Sugar and his very large parrot named Sarah.He was building another hotel / resort there. very interesting guy to talk to . i think he was from Canada and relocated to St Kitts ...lucky him !! the cab that we took from the port was waiting for us , he never left after droping us off, we stayed on this beach for 5 hours and once he droped us off at the port he collected his money, it was $11 round trip each , you cant beat that price !lol.

this beach and island i think was both of our favorite. its a must do !!

next is Antigua , the last of the stops.. you can feel the end is near and the vacation is almost over :(

Magens bay , they say this is one of the top 10 most beautiful beaches in the world, i dont know but i can tell you , it was beautiful !! everything about it was stunning, the water , the sand , the views in any direction was something to remember. shopping,, No biggy, seems to be the same as any other place. if you smoke and drink you can get some huge deal. i think it was 17$ us dollars a carton and for a bottle of absolute it was about 10 dollars compaired to getting the same ciggs in the states for about $80 a carton and the vodka for about $30. HUGE SAVINGS !! I have some high end watches , rolex , chopard and a few others, i found them to be more expensive there,,,, go figure.

I will do this place again and the next time i do, i will stock up on cheap booze and ciggs ;) but i would limit my time with the shopping and go see more of the island

Next stop is St Kitts