Celebrity Infinity Cruise Review by tim

Member Name: tim
Cruise Date: August 2004
Embarkation: Vancouver
Destination: Alaska
See More About: Celebrity Infinity Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated
Rates 5+

Infinity - Alaska
This was our eighth cruise and our second cruise on Infinity. Celebrity is our favorite cruise line and this cruise met our already high expectations. Overall this was a great cruise which we would recommend for all age groups.

We did have some trouble getting to the ship. We flew from NY to Seattle and Celebrity picked us up to shuttle to Vancouver. We waited over an hour on the shuttle before we left. No one from Celebrity could tell us what was going on. There were several families with children and some smokers in the group who were very restless. When we finally got going our Celebrity hostess told us the trip would take 20 minutes. It actually takes over 2 hours.

Once we got to the ship embarkation was a breeze and our luggage was delivered right away.

The cruise itself was great. During our cruise Alaska was in the midst of a serious drought so there was almost no rain. We took 2 excursions. One was the white water rafting trip to the Mendenhall glacier. That was great but your feet get very cold. Be sure to bring extra socks to change into.

The second excursion was a boat trip to see eagles. That was fun but a waste of money because there are eagles everywhere. You do not need to pay a guide to see them.

The day at the Hubbard Glacier was wonderful. It is impossible to describe how beautiful it is. You really need to get out on the open deck to appreciate it. The crew had lots of nice warm blankets and hot chocolate. It was by far the best day of the cruise. There was a naturalist on board who explained everything we were seeing but in a low key, unobtrusive way.

During the cruise we saw lots of wildlife including the aforementioned eagles, salmon, whales and penguins.

The thalassotherapy pool was very popular because, of course, it was too cold to use the outdoor pools. The hot tubs were also in use a lot. However, we never had trouble finding a chair or using the facilities.

The food was great. We usually had the buffet for lunch and breakfast. There were several stations and the lines were never long. Our dinner companions were pleasant. The United States restaurant was wonderful. Don't miss it. We usually like to use the Cova Cafe when on a Celebrity Cruise. I get a cocktail before dinner while my wife gets a cappuccino. For some reason, the bartender wasn't as friendly as on other Celebrity cruises.

Our waiter was pleasant and attentive but not as outgoing as other waiters I've had. The headwaiter was wonderful and went out of his way to accommodate everyone at our table. The room attendant was really on the ball. Our cabin was cleaned several times a day and we always had ice and extra towels.

My wife and I love to use the library on the cruise ship and the Infinity library is large (2 stories) with a good selection of books. It has nice big chairs which are great to curl up in to read or nap. It is conveniently located on deck 8. For some reason the librarian was very rude. She was a middle aged, American lady. My wife and I would sit there reading our books and watch her antics with the other passengers and the crew. She obviously hated everything about her job. One day she actually got into a shouting match with some poor soul on the phone. She was so unhappy I'd really be surprised if she was still there.

The entertainment was pretty good. The comedian was hysterical and when the Celebrity singers and dancers did their review of Broadway, it was wonderful. The other review was tedious. The cruise director was OK, not the best I've seen.

The Spa on this ship is first rate. My wife really loved everything about it. She even went to a clinic where they advised her on a makeover. The next day she had red highlights put in her hair which were very flattering. She also loved the haircut.

This is the first cruise where I rented a tux. I can't tell you how convenient it was to arrive on the ship and have a perfectly pressed tux and shirts waiting. It fit, too.

Overall, this was a very positive experience. We would not hesitate to sail with Celebrity again.

Publication Date: 01/20/05