Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by THE Lone Cruiser

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by THE Lone Cruiser
Explorer of the Seas
Explorer of the Seas
Member Name: THE Lone Cruiser
Cruise Date: April 2011
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Cabin Category: D3
Entertainment 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+

Relaxation and pure self indulgence
We embarked from Bayonne NJ which is brilliant because anyone in the NE can either drive or take a bus to get to the port. I took a bus which worked out fine, even though it left late, we still arrived at the ship in plenty of time. There were long lines when we arrived, but it is a big ship and they did keep things moving as fast as possible. They had plenty of staff working to get us to our cabins. (It was about 2:00 PM when we arrived and I was in my cabin by 3:30 PM)

My cabin was lovely and so was my stewardess. She was so sweet and had a lovely laugh. My room was kept spotless the whole trip and she is a true artist with the towel animals. Somehow I'd gotten the late seating for dinner and ended up starving by 6 pm so I ate at the buffet that night. Wasn't real impressed, but it's a buffet. They had plenty of choices and wonderful desserts. I did Johnny Rockets and the burger was good as were the fries, but it was a burger and fries. Nothing special. I enjoyed the company when I ate in the dining room. There were 2 couples from Montreal and another from Ohio. Very lovely people with wicked senses of humor. And I do love to laugh. We teased each other as we ordered 2 entrees or 2 desserts or both. I missed both formal nights, but since my formals didn't fit, well it worked out well. I did the mystery dinner which was again, lots of laughs and well worth the money. The dinner was excellent-Filet mignon, Cooked perfectly.

There were 4 days at sea and 4 port days. I could have missed Puerto Rico. It was a fort and some shopping. St. Thomas was interesting because there is a huge mall right there at the port (don't want to miss one cruiser). I took the tour of the island and it was very interesting. Houses just perched on cliffs. Beautiful views and a fun tour. I didn't go into Samana or Labadie. My favorite part of the cruise was sitting on my balcony with the sun beating down. I truly enjoyed the ability to do as much as I wanted or as little as I wanted.

My one problem with the cruise was that I felt that RCL was nickel and diming us to death. Sorry, but soda is very cheap and bottled water is also very cheap but they charged quite a bit for it. Not fair folks, the fare is not that cheap even breaking it down. They should be able to spring for soda fountain soda. (doesn't have to be cans or bottles) but the soda fountain stuff should have been part of your meal. That's my only negative.

Publication Date: 04/24/11