Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by bluesky1128

Member Name: bluesky1128
Cruise Date: April 2011
Embarkation: San Juan
Cabin Category: 10
See More About: Celebrity Summit Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals
Public Rooms Not Rated
Shore Excursions 5+

Celebrity not what we expected
This was my first Celebrity cruise, my 4th cruise overall. We were always told that Celebrity was a step up from Royal Carib and Carnival, the two that I had cruised before. I was so looking forward to the "upgrade". And I think that's why I came away disappointed.

Let me say right from the start that the crew was the biggest plus about the whole cruise. Our stateroom attendant, Stanley, was just the best. He was so nice, so professional, so good at what he did. He met us the moment we walked down our hallway, the first day. I asked for a softer pillow the next day and he had it within minutes. Even on the last day, after the tips were distributed, he was just as attentive as the first day. Hats off to Stanley! Our waiter in the Ren-de-vous lounge, Dario, was exceptional. He became our daily routine, we looked for him, he looked for us...and his service and his smile was impecable. We were sorry he didn't have the time to just sit and visit with us, he was so interesting.

Having said all that, in my opinion, Celebrity Summit did not live up the the hype. Perhaps the newer ships are better..? I will never know.

Here's how I saw it.....I had expected food to be available just about 24 hours a day, it wasn't. After spending alot of money on airfare and this cruise, I didn't expect to have to pay in a restaurant on a cruise ship. We missed dinner in the evening one night and there was no place to eat. The buffet was closed and we had to eat in a restaurant if we wanted to eat. On Carnival and on RC, there was a midnight buffet and food all over the ship. I know many people have commented on how great the food was in the Cosmopolitan, I didn't think so. We were so hoping for lobster and when we had it, it was rock lobster and it was cooked to death, with no taste. Steak filets were ordered medium rare and it was so done and so tough, I could barely chew it. (no, I am young, have my own teeth) There were four of us at the table for six, we were situated in the back of the room, like an afterthought. The waiters were so interested in the other tables for six, we hardly saw them. I got the feeling that if we were high rollers we would have gotten more attention and perhaps had the money to enjoy the upscale restaurants. But, we thought we had already paid enough for the cruise,and having cruised before, I thought we would have already paid for the best.

I thought the entertainment was so-so. The comedian was excellent, the husband and wife team were wonderful. The song and dance shows were very amateurish...another disappointment.

This really was a cruise for senior people. Everything seemed geared for people over 60. I ran into a few others who were disappointed with Celebrity and the supposed better class. The only time we heard Reggae music was after 10:00 at night, we actually had to sit through Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin....really? On a cruise? Maybe it's me....but I never heard this sleepy music during the day on the pool deck on any other cruise before. Call me crazy.....

We noticed that alot of the ship's entertainment had to do with buying in port, jewelry, they had a seminar on buying stocks and preparing for old age....wha??? I didn't think there was alot to do if you didn't get off the ship at the ports, especially if it was raining and cloudy. (and it was for 3 days)

The best thing about the cruise? The crew.

The worst thing about the cruise? The food.

I don't know how these other reviewers got off and on the ship so quickly. We had to lug all of our luggage all over the place instead of the way it was done previously with the cruise line handling the luggage for you. What a hassle ! And for disembarkation, we waited in line for at least 20 minutes.

The Puerto Rico airport now makes you lug your luggage to a USDA site to have it xrayed. What another hassle! All of the units were closed except for one and again, we waited at one end of the airport for the xray and then lugged our stuff allll the way down to the other end to get our boarding passes and get checked again. None of this was Celebrity's fault, just added to the frustration.

If I ever cruise again? I will go back to Royal Carib. Just my opinion, but I felt more at ease and relaxed there and the food was definitely better. I want to feel pampered and special on a cruise, not feel like I'm "settling" for the food in the dining rooms and buffets instead of spending $30.00 for each meal at a specialty restaurant. Cruising has changed so much in the past few years,I just may be disappointed with RC too if I did it again.

The ports are terrific. St. Maarten, St. Lucia, Antigua, Barbados, St. Thomas...wonderful people, friendly, good food and we enjoyed every single excursion.

I think it might be a good idea to have a large scale somewhere on the ship where we could weigh our luggage after having bought souveniers, instead of having to wait till we reached the airport and then have to shuffle things around to accomodate the 50 lb limit. Just a nice convenience to make disembarkation more pleasant.

Publication Date: 04/21/11