Costa Atlantica Cruise Review by GeneGirl

Member Name: GeneGirl
Cruise Date: March 2011
Destination: Transatlantic
Cabin Category: B9
See More About: Costa Atlantica Cruise Reviews | Transatlantic Cruise Reviews | Costa Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+

Ship Facts: Costa Atlantica Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Costa Atlantica Deck Plans
Costa Atlantica Transatlantic a good deal (with exceptions)
Overall, the Costa Atlantic is a great ship that is well maintained and well designed. Their is plenty of live entertainment throughout the evening in multiple locations, lots of planned activities, and a lively crew that tries very hard to make your trip enjoyable and fun. The food options/quality aren't the best but aren't terrible either. The cabins and cabin stewards are great. The port of calls for the trip were the most I could find for a transatlantic cruise (but some ports had a very limited amount of time alloted). While the drinks were very expensive (7-11 Euros/drink) you were able to find a happy hour somewhere on the ship for two for one drinks from 11-noon and 5-10 PM which helped. For the transatlantic itinerary, you are forced to pay in Euros for everything on the ship, but the ship simply switches all dollar prices into euro prices (i.e. a $10 watch is now 10 Euros, which would be about $15 currently). They also had just informed the crew the first day of the cruise that their wages were going to be paid in dollars now instead of Euros. The crew was NOT very happy about this and it showed in some of the crew members. A $40,000 wage is not nearly as nice as a 40,000 Euro wage.

As for the passengers... we choose the Costa line since it had been reviewed to have a younger passenger set. This may be true for most Costa cruises, but apparently not for a 20 day cruise. There were 2 teenagers on the ship, ~18 children, and I would guess 30 people under 50. Of those 30, I would venture only 10 spoke English. For a 2,000 person cruise, that is not a large population of passengers. The crew did notice this and held separate "under 40" nights in the disco to help us find each other.

Costa's "Stolen Item Protocol" sucks! I brought my iPhone with me on the cruise just in case I may need it, but I turned it off and left it in the cabin the entire time. On the 5th day of the cruise, I looked for it in the cabin and couldn't find it. I told my cabin steward (who was wonderful and I 100% believe that he would never take it) and he helped look for it. He told me to inform security and they would look in the cabin as well. Thinking this a good idea since the iPhone could have fallen into a crack and the security may know of little hiding places it may have fallen, I filled out a security report. I knew they would search the whole cabin so I placed some personal items in a bag beforehand. The security officer shows up with 3 other personal (I'm not sure what their job was other than stand there and watch). The security officer looks through every single article of clothing and underwear. He didn't look in any other special nooks or crannies it may have fallen, but then demanded to look through my personal items I had placed in a bag. I told him the phone was not in there and the items were personal. He then accused me of hiding something and demanded to look through the bag. This is when I realized the "search" was an "interrogation." He questioned my story several times, and demanded to see the phone's charger and ear piece. They told me only the room steward had access to my room. I KNOW this not to be true. I had walked into the room when someone other than my room steward was walking out and had replaced our fresh fruit. After lying to me, searching through all my personal items and feeling completely interrogated, they didn't contact me again for a week. I had to contact the front desk to find out the situation of the incident. The front desk (which I had always found to be rude and unhelpful) made the situation even worse. I regret ever reporting the incident, and this situation really tarnished how I view the cruise line now. Because of this, I will most likely never cruise Costa again. There are far too many other options that don't treat their customers like criminals.

Publication Date: 04/21/11