Sun Princess Cruise Review by bluebird55: The Cherry Blossom Cruise that wasn't.

bluebird55
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Sun Princess Cruises

The Cherry Blossom Cruise that wasn't.

Sail Date: March 2011
Destination: Other
Embarkation: Other

I will try to be brief in my review. The Sun Princess is a tired old lady, who needs an extensive amount of work and refurbishment to get her up to scratch. The staff on the whole are very friendly and helpful. The dinning room staff are first rate, the cabin steward needed to be a little more supervised.Having said that the Princess line had their work cut out to them. The Tsunami hit Japan so they had to find alternative ports quick smart, which they did. Korea Beijing and extra day in Shanghai. My husband and I were ecstatic with the alternatives.

The trip had its share of dramas, tsunami flu epidemic engine failure and burst pipes.The crew handled it with quiet efficiency.

The only negative thing I can say is that the laundry was insufficient for the amount of people on the ship. There was 2 washing machines and 2 dryers on most decks. Most of the time one or another was out of service.They were situated right next to staterooms which was very hard on the people in More those rooms. The laundry tended to be a vocal point on the ship. People would congregate from 7.30am onwards as to ensure their place in line.It caused a lot of stress and distension amongst passengers. Can you imagine trying to sleep through that noise? I don't know the answer to that. Perhaps a ticket system would work.

All in all the trip was lovely. We will be back next May 2012 for the 104 day World Cruise. Less

Read more Sun Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Sun Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Sun Princess Interior Double Aloha Deck A527

We had a inside cabin, first time ever and last. We had the beds together to form a double bed. Very cramped.We had those beds separated and the cabin appeared a lot more roomier.The problem was we never knew when it was day or night. The location was excellent level 11 or ALOHA deck midships.

What can I say? nearly home. Clean easy to get around....natives friendly :-))

We have always loved Hong Kong, again we did things on our own. Caught the bus to the theme parks shopping centers etc The buses and ferries are inexpensive way to get around. The ship terminal is quite central to everything so its easy to do things on your own.

Shanghai was our next stop. We were at least 40 min away from the city, so we were provided shuttle bus to and from the city. I was a bit disappointed as I felt we wasted a lot of time traveling to and from the terminal Shanghai is awesome. Try and get a hop on and hop off bus, it gives you a insight to the things you really wish to see, also very inexpensive way to go.

Tianjin-Korea was next this was one of the alternatives to Japan. A lot of people were disappointed in this stop. We loved it. We walked out of the terminal(5 min walk) we found banks to exchange our currency, everyone was so helpful. The main shops and markets were underground very reasonably priced. We would have loved to stay there for more than a few hours.

Bussan-Beijing was next. Definitely a organized tour. The great wall of China Tian An Men Square, The Forbidden City, Bronzy lion, The Summer Palace just awesome.

This is a place that you can hire a car and see more than on tours. We went to places such as the caves which were inaccessible to the buses.

Guam was next. We caught hop on and hop of buses and saw the sights.

Rabaul-New Guinea The people are very friendly, The Volcano was awesome sight, again we did things on our own.