Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by Kalmekrzy

Member Name: Kalmekrzy
Cruise Date: March 2011
Embarkation: Galveston
Cabin Category: 9B

Very dissapointed. Last cruise with Carnival!
When I booked my cruise I saw many negative reviews but didn't think twice about booking the cruise. I wish I had. This was my third cruise with carnival and will most likely be my last. Last year we were on the Valor and had great time despite a few problems in the dining room with a table of drunk women (one who gave her 6 yr old drinks out of her cosmo) and the fact that the bar staff continued to let them be served even though 9 tables had complained and when one of the gals cussed our table out on the last night (she had learned people had complained about her drunk antics all week and us being a table of women she targeted us even though 8 other tables complained) while the wait staff stood there and laughed.

Anyways, back to the Conquest. first we were 3 hrs late boarding but not once was anyone told why we were so late and stuck standing in line for hours. Had we known, we would've went and got lunch and something to drink. We were starving by the time we got through the lines. We later found out that the ship was late coming in due to fog. No fault of Carnivals but would've been nice if they would've let us know. We got on the ship and got to our room. Our bags made it shortly afterwards. The room was huge! We were in 8449. It is twice the size room of the last two that we have stayed in. The floor plan sq footage says it is the same size as other rooms but it's not. Last year we had an aft balcony and could hardly get around the beds without bumping into them. This time there was so much room that you could've had two more single beds in there without it being cramped. The room is the last one on the side toward the back of the ship next to the wrap cabins. The balcony is twice the width across as a regular balcony.

We took pictures and I'm uploading them to webshots.

Our room steward Nardo was great! The beds were extremely uncomfortable (which I had never encountered before) and he brought me an extra down comforter along with a king size poly filled one that we folded up and put on the mattress because the bed was so hard that I could barely walk because my back hurt so bad. If that didn't work we were going to ask for a bunch of pillows to lay on the bed and sleep on them because the bed was so hard.

The food wasn't that great. I ate on the lido deck twice and felt sick afterwards. The dining room food was hit and miss. The room service food was better than most meals on the ship believe it or not. I'm not a picky person at all. The food just didn't taste good. I ordered prime rib one night in the dining room asked for it medium rare and it was well done not a bit of pink in it. We missed steak and lobster night because we had eaten lunch on the lido and I felt extremely sick afterwards. I was so disappointed that we missed elegant night but I couldn't stomach anything the rest of the night.

I read another review about unruly children. We had them on our ship as well. They were running up and down the halls none stop screaming and yelling and never with a parent. They also were at the legends show and were unsupervised and everyone around them had to tell them to sit down and act like ladies. They were obnoxious. One night I stepped out my door to ask them to quiet down and when they went in their room they told their parents that I had told them to be quiet and I heard the mother tell them that not to listen to me that I could just deal with it. I complained to guest services after the same kids woke me up at 6:00 am running down the hall and was told that there wasn't anything they could do. And suggested I wear earplugs.

These children also decided to camp out with blankets and pillows in the glass elevators and made it impossible to use them as they were laying and sleeping on the floor and wouldn't move. Still nothing was done about it.

The bartenders by the casino were rude. I don't drink but asked one of them if they could put ice water in my water bottle and he ignored me for about 10 min. Mind u there was only three other people at the bar. When he finally helped me I gave him a dollar tip but the next time I went up he was working and he rolled his eyes when I asked for ice water.

The shows were ok. The legends show was almost identical to the one I saw last year on the Valor. The comedians were hysterical though. I absolutely loved Kim Harris.

I didn't book any excursions through the ship. I booked them all privately and they were all half the cost of what carnival wanted.

At the end of the cruise I decided to reverse my tips and pay people directly. The gal at guest services was so rude and basically accused me of lying when I told her that I ate on the lido twice and that I would tip the people that deserved tips on my own. We ordered room service quite a bit and tipped between $4-$6 each time. We tipped our steward each day as well as gave him a large tip at the end of the cruise. We didn't order drinks so no tips needed to bar staff. The food on the lido deck made me sick so I didn't feel it was necessary for tips. Although I did tip the guy at the deli & pizza when I got food there. In all honesty the room service people and room steward were the only ones who went out of their way to help me.

All in all this cruise was a big disappointment. I will think twice if I ever think about going on another cruise with Carnival.

Publication Date: 04/18/11