MSC Musica Cruise Review by babulevich

Cruise Date: October 2010
Embarkation: Venice
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
Cabin Category: 11
See More About: MSC Musica Cruise Reviews | Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | MSC Cruises Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: MSC Musica Review (by Cruise Critic!) | MSC Musica Deck Plans
MSC Musica Greece
We (a married couple) have taken this cruise in October 2010.

MSC Musica offered the best Greece interanary for a 6-night cruise (we embarked in Bari, not Venice). It was our 5th cruise and the second mediterranean (Carnaval Liberty).

I've read a number of cruisecritic reviews discussing the specifics of a European cruise vs American. In fact neither of the concerns expressed (e.g. noisy european crowd, not very responsive administration and such) turned out to be an issue for one except for one, which is the food.

In fact, I was always thinking that (american) cruises were too food-centric, and never expected it could be an issue for me, but it was.

Let me start with the ship. MSC Musica is a nice, modern and clean ship. We stayed in a balcony cabin which was good with one caviat - it had a door to the adjacent cabin. They mark these cabins on a floor map, but since we were booking late, we didn't have a choice. It turned out to be an issue for us, since our neghbours - an Italian family with a small kid was quite noisy, were crying at each other all the time, taking our privacy away. We asked for a cabin change, but since the ship was sold out it took them 2 days to find a new cabin for us, which I found reasonable.

There is a number of messages regarding the internary, which is quite good. The prices for the outboard excursions were also reasonable, not worse than any other cruise I've taken. Even though I hate broadway-style shows, I enjoyed the entertainment which featured a number of really good shows.

Now getting back to the food. This is not about the quantity - it was definitely enough food on board, it's the quality of food and service.

It's not that the food was bad, it was just absolutely tasteless. I had some reservations against the review, which stated that all the dishes were tasting similar, but oh boy was it true. There was an impression, that they used the same savory substance to create all these meals, absolutely tasteless and even humiliating my aethetic feelings. The attitude of the waiters was au pair to the food (we're so tired of you all). After all, in the end of a busy cruise day, we all expect a delicious dinner with a good service as a reward. Without it a cruise looses a touch of luxury which many of us are after.

MCS, please fire your chef and provide some decent food if you want to compete against (american) cruise lines.

Publication Date: 04/17/11